• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Herbals as an alternative to Xifaxan for SIBO

nandixon

I couldn't find where this May 2014 study from Johns Hopkins was previously mentioned on the forum. Given how expensive Xifaxan is it could be helpful:

Herbal therapy is equivalent to rifaximin for the treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24891990

It was found that herbal preparations were at least as effective as high dose rifaximin (1200 mg daily) in the treatment of SIBO.

The herbal protocol was to take 2 capsules twice daily of each of two supplements from one of two different companies:

Dysbiocide and FC Cidal (both by Biotics Research)

or

Candibactin-AR and Candibactin-BR (both by Metagenics)

That is, if I understand correctly, one takes either 2 capsules of Dysbiocide and 2 capsules of FC Cidal twice a day (i.e., a total of 8 capsules); or 2 capsules of Candibactin-AR and 2 capsules of Candibactin-BR twice a day (again 8 capsules total).

Either herbal combination was used for 4 weeks.

Cort Johnson also wrote about this study here:
http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...proach-small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth/

end

Good find! It's not very common botanicals are put in a study like this

'Bactrex' is another product by Metagenics also used for SIBO/SIFO

Of note Dr Chia has mentioned many times that these 'overgrowths' seen in CFS/ME patients is usually a direct result of Enterovirus infection in the GUT

globalpilot

I did this treatment Nandixon, for SIBO (verified by culture of aspirate) and it didn't help me, neither did Rifaxamin. I seem to have a tough case though for some reason. It is most certainly worth a try.

I have Candibactin in the cupboard waiting to give it a go when I'm on holidays. My SIBO is a lot better since doing GAPS diet and increasing veggies in diet, although some things still set it off like I had some sorbitol gum yesterday and today its gas central. I will let you know how it goes.

Peyt

Hello,
I know this is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone knows if Candibactin is supposed to be taken with meals or on an empty stomach?
Also, did anyone try it? any results? thanks

Aerose91

This thread is old but there is a coupon for first time users on the Xifaxin website where you can get it for $20. Worked for me

Just curious,
Those herbal preparations mentioned by OP, can you get those without practitioner? If I remember correctly, I checked when the paper came out and I found that I couldn't access them so stocked up on Xifaxan.