• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose Vit. D weekly vs. low dose Vit. D daily

Thinktank

Like many others with CFS/ME or lyme i don't tolerate vitamin D very well. I've tried many different brands at different dosages without much luck.

One way to raise vit. D is by using a megadose once weekly. I did so in the past for 6 weeks @ 50.000 IU as prescribed by my gastroenterologist. That raised my vit. D level from 21 to 47, yes i felt sick when taking the supplement but that was only for a single day. Given the success i had with such a weekly high dose i'm planning to try it again.

Does anyone know if it's harmful to use a single dose of 50.000 IU weekly for a longer period of time?

Last edited:

JAH

I have been taking 50,000 iu of D twice a week, for several months. My genetic tendencies and continually low counts made me take the supplement more seriously, and twice a week much better than every day - given my laziness in taking pills every day. (If you saw my side table crammed from corner to corner with pill bottles of all shapes and sizes,, you would appreciate me strong desire to take fewer pills) Asked doc if I could take one high dose twice a week and she said yes that would cover me.
Hope it works out for you. I'll let you know if this protocol is working for me next time I my blood checked for d.
Good luck,
JAH