• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High-Throughput Sequencing of Plasma MicroRNA in CFS/ME

user9876

A new paper from Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik at Griffith University

High-Throughput Sequencing of Plasma MicroRNA in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
  • Ekua W. Brenu,
  • Kevin J. Ashton,
  • Jana Batovska,
  • Donald R. Staines,
  • Sonya M. Marshall-Gradisnik
Abstract
Background
MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are known to regulate many biological processes and their dysregulation has been associated with a variety of diseases including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME). The recent discovery of stable and reproducible miRNA in plasma has raised the possibility that circulating miRNAs may serve as novel diagnostic markers. The objective of this study was to determine the role of plasma miRNA in CFS/ME.

Results
Using Illumina high-throughput sequencing we identified 19 miRNAs that were differentially expressed in the plasma of CFS/ME patients in comparison to non-fatigued controls. Following RT-qPCR analysis, we were able to confirm the significant up-regulation of three miRNAs (hsa-miR-127-3p, hsa-miR-142-5p and hsa-miR-143-3p) in the CFS/ME patients.

Conclusion
Our study is the first to identify circulating miRNAs from CFS/ME patients and also to confirm three differentially expressed circulating miRNAs in CFS/ME patients, providing a basis for further study to find useful CFS/ME biomarkers.

Full paper is available at
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0102783

Simon

Study conclusion said:
Our study is the first to identify circulating miRNAs from CFS/ME patients and also to confirm three differentially expressed circulating miRNAs in CFS/ME patients, providing a basis for further study to find useful CFS/ME biomarkers.

Well, sort of. Crucially, they failed to correct for multiple comparisons which is important when lots of genes are being compared:
Due to the small sample size and the heterogeneity of the CFS/ME phenotype we interpreted significance from the unadjusted P-value, without the Benjamini-Hochberg method for False Discovery (FDR) correction. Statistical significance was accepted at P<0.05.
Had they corrected, they might have found fewer than three miRNAs different, or even none.

Also, results like this have a habit of not replicating. Ideally, you split your sample into a 'test' set, where you look for differences, and a 'validation' set where you check the differences in the test set hold up. But there sample (20) wasn't big enough for this.

They are also looking at miRNA in plasma. miRNA are small, regulatory RNA molecules that regulate gene expression (postranscriptionally) within the cell - quite how much clinical importance can be attached to the stuff floating free in plasma isn't clear.

Hopefully further and bigger studies will make progress, but I'm not sure this results is terribly promising. Though I am more sceptical than most.

NK17

This is exactly where Dr. Davis from Stanford will come to the rescue.
He has access to well characterized biological specimens from Dr. Kogelnik's and Dr. Montoya's clinics.
He works with Eric Delwart from UCSF as well.
He's silently but relentlessly working to find answers, strong answers on solid data.

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
This is exactly where Dr. Davis from Stanford will come to the rescue.
He has access to well characterized biological specimens from Dr. Kogelnik's and Dr. Montoya's clinics.
He works with Eric Delwart from UCSF as well.
He's silently but relentlessly working to find answers, strong answers on solid data.
Do you have his email or info to send him this link???