• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Himalayan Pink Salt. Anyone?

xchocoholic

I avoided regular table salt and used this and the grey celtic salt for about 8 years now. Both are great if you can avoid to waste money on salt.

I just switched to Hain sea salt and use the Hain iodized sea salt for cooking. I'm trying to watch where I spend my money.

I still use the Himalaya sparingly tho to meet my sodium needs for OI. I like the way it tastes in my drinks.

"Healthy" eating can be such a rip off. Tc .. x

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I've been using Hain Sea Salt for years when I use salt, which is rarely. I saw this on Ebay so not sure about the cost compared to other places but for seasoning (I don't bake at all) this might an option.

xchocoholic

I gather you're not salt loading for OI or low bp. It's supposed to help boost blood volume too. I use it to keep my bp up.

Good to know someone else is using Hain. :)

Tc .. x

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Actually neither of those. Certain things I eat alter the taste in my mouth and has for years. Odd things do it, like Oatmeal and Olive Oil make it salty, something makes it almost fishy. I haven't figure that one out yet. So when I eat salt, it really amps up the salt for the rest of the day.

i did just find out my BP was high and I've started on medication so I'm still working with that and dosage. I may add some salt since my BP seems too low right now.

amaru7

I eat unrefined salt mostly and actually feel better when I enjoy salty food. IMO salt isn't as bad as the people want to make it to be, especially unrefined salt is not only healthy, but essential for life

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@minkeygirl

Somewhere on this site (try a google site search) there was concern about impurities in Himalayan Pink sea salt. Sorry, I don't have a link. I decided to use Celtic because of this.

Sushi

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just made an offer on 1/4 oz on ebay for $1.25. We'll see. I had not heard of Celtic until xchocoholic mentioned it.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

That seems a good price for 16 oz. I have been getting it from Whole Foods but I think it costs more there. Thanks.

Sushi

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I get a ton if stuff subscribe and save.

One thing that just occurred to me is iodine. Don't we. See that and is it in these?

Wayne

I may add some salt since my BP seems too low right now.

@minkeygirl, you mentioned earlier you hardly use salt at all. Everybody is different of course, but I'm convinced most people are salt starved, either because they've heeded warnings about salt consumption. Or are eating the really terrible common table salt which is very toxic, or sea salt, which somewhat less toxic (lots of pollution in the oceans, and also overly treated). It seems to me most people would do well to up their good salt intake by using Himalayan salt. Here's another video in case you're interested.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Wayne, I don't eat salt because it alters the taste in my mouth. That's the only reason. I ate something for lunch that had olive oil in it and now I'm going to suffer the rest of the day with my saliva tasting like ocean water. It can be intolerable.

Thanks for the video but I couldn't watch the 4 minute video you posted earlier so I won't be able to watch this one.

JalapenoLuv

Himalayan salt has added trace minerals but in higher quantities than sea salt. I use it. But you can get trace minerals from food so don't overdo it. You can still get too much sodium if you're not careful.

Revel

This is the same stuff that we give to the horses, only we buy it ungranulated, still in rock form and hang it on a rope for them to lick!

It's food grade and said to be the purest form of sodium chloride available, with trace elements potassium, magnesium and iron (the latter giving it the pink colour). Works out at $1/lb. Maybe I should start grating some off for myself?