• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

holy sulphates, batman!

Aerose91

I have a heterozygous CBS mutation so I was trying to be conscious of sulphites even though I hadn't been tested yet. I had blood work done for ammonia (hasn't come back yet) and picked up some sulphate strips and holy crap! 1600 is as high as the scale goes and my strips aren't even close to the same color, I'm waaay higher than 1600.

Obviously I have to work on this, and I get most of my info from heartfixer and from here but I need some more specifics.

I know you should reduce meats and eggs as well as broccoli and spinach. What are we supposed to do for protein then? I'm on a ketogenic diet and do fine with it and lately have reduced meat in replaced it with more eggs and seafood (crustaceans and shellfish) What else am I missing here though? I need a major sulphate reduction. I also don't eat anything processed or foods with sulphites added to them...

Thanks for any help

Critterina

@Aerose91 ,

Remember this is a long life, and knowing you have a sulfur issue gives you an opportunity to make an educated change. Not everything gets done at once.

When I suspected sulfur issues, I didn't just eliminate sulfites and sulfates, but most of the sulfur in my diet. It is a hard diet to follow, but I'm pretty sure that if eliminating something from your diet is going to help, you'll find it out with a low sulfur diet*.

I have no idea how to maintain a ketogenic diet, though, or really how to get enough protein long term. Nuts and seeds (quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth) will be your main sources of protein.

I think the approach would be to do a temporary reduction in sulfur intake, then try to support the systems that metabolize sulfur so that you can reintroduce things to your diet without your sulfur going up too much. But I didn't pursue it that far, so you need someone with real expertise. I remember it eliminated all flesh (anything with eyes), eggs, soy, dairy, grains. Nuts were ok except peanuts and Brazil nuts. Most fruits were OK (but not all). And there were only a few vegetables: green beans, zucchini/summer squash, carrots, celery, ...humpf! I know there was at least one more vegetable, but my brain is failing me just now.

*If you find the diet helps, it may not be due to the sulfur. A low sulfur diet eliminates most of the things people react to: dairy, gluten, gliaden, soy, peanuts, corn, etc. If it helps, it's a good base from which to reintroduce these foods and see what it is you're reacting to. For me, it was largely a supplement (NAC) that was causing the problem. At the same time I did the low sulfur diet, I read that NAC was a problem for people with histamine intolerance, and that would be me. Soy is also bad for histamine intolerance. But some things that are low sulfur, like stone fruits and berries, are bad for histamine intolerance, so it's not perfect that way.

I wish you the best!

Critterina