• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How important is it to lie down as opposed to reclining in chair?

November Girl

I know that when I'm totally wiped out, I need to lie down. How about on days where I don't feel quite that bad? Sometimes I'm up & about a bit, other times my energy levels keep me parked in the recliner.

I'll get good about having scheduled lie-downs for awhile, and then I just forget them. It's easy to remember when I'm feeling real bad, or real good - if I'm up & moving around, I get tired, and feel the need to lie down. A large part of me feels I've spent far too many hours in bed over the years, and would prefer to be sitting up when possible. - Of course that's the stubborn part of me!

xchocoholic

Everyone is unique when it comes to laying down flat versus reclining so you have to listen to your body.

I know from doing the diy pmttts regularly fot awhile that I have to lay down flat regularly for an hour ar a time throughout the day if I want to think clearly. I have pots tho
So my heart starts struggling after I've been up for ten minutes. I also get petite mals and sobs if I'm up too long.

I'm not sure if there are long term consequences of not resting or laying down. I pushed myself for 14 years straight
while raising a child on my own. Now that I can rest I feel better tho.

Tc .. X

SOC

My docs have consistently recommended some supine rest daily to recover energy resources. How much I need in any given day varies. The more energy I use in other activities (or fighting infections, or whatever), the more supine rest I need.

Sparrow

My heart monitor helped to convince me that for me, the flatter the better. :) Lying down, my average is between 85 and 90 beats per minute on an average day. Sitting up reclined with my legs curled up with me bumps that up to somewhere between 100 and 110.

If I sit too long, I can definitely tell it's been draining. I find the better I get, the less vivid that difference is, but I will still probably try to lie down to rest as much as I can as I continue to recover. I know now that it's easier on my body, whether or not I can see the effect right away.

Though I've noticed that sometimes my body just WANTS to sit up, and I figure at those times it's better to listen to it.

Totally hear you on preferring to be sitting up as much as possible, though. Like so many things with this illness, I think it's a trade off of ideal recovery speed vs keeping our sanity. ;)

taniaaust1

Reclining in a chair (which I always do with my legs up) is sometimes enough for me but at other times I need to be laying flat. It all depends on how bad my POTS symptoms are at the time.

November Girl

I've come to realize that I do need some "flat time". Now I just need to remind myself to take it. Our daily routine is totally topsy-turvy right now - actually there is no routine!