• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many more times can I be wrong? Now it's gluten and dairy.

SOC

Thanks, all! :hug: I'm making a nice longish list from all your suggestions. I'll spend some time this week trying to find these things locally -- the perishable ones, anyway. It looks easy enough to buy flours, pasta, and crackers online.

I made french bread rolls on Saturday with Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour. I used a recipe for gluten-free french bread, but we weren't impressed. Same with chocolate chip cookies. I think we don't like the bean flour in Bob's blend. Muffins from Arrowhead Mills Gluten-Free Baking Mix were pretty good, though. I may have to find a DIY flour blend that works for us.

We had a gluten-free pasta tonight which was okay. I think if we keeping looking and trying, we'll find a brand we'll be happy with.

Bread we might live without, milk we haven't used in a long time but haven't avoided in prepared foods, but cheese -- cheese is one we're going to have to find a passable substitute for.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks, all! :hug: ...
Bread we might live without, milk we haven't used in a long time but haven't avoided in prepared foods, but cheese -- cheese is one we're going to have to find a passable substitute for.

Pamela's cookies are good and here is the cheese substitute I use--it is non-GMO soy and comes in several types:
wpid-VG-Mozzarella-Cheese3-318x310.jpg

alex3619

Cheese is currently a key source of protein for me, so much so that I have to buy low fat or reduced fat, or I would be eating too much saturated fat. Substitutions for cheese might be harder ... though there is also goat cheese which is often better tolerated.

I do like the idea of non-GMO soy cheese though. However I think its benefit has little to do with avoiding GMO rather than avoiding the huge amounts of roundup they use on GMO soy.

Last edited:

SOC

Cheese is currently a key source of protein for me, so much so that I have to buy low fat or reduced fat, or I would be eating too much saturated fat. Substitutions for cheese might be harder ... though there is also goat cheese which is often better tolerated.
Apparently it's not the lactose, but the casein (or maybe some other milk protein) so goat cheese is as bad as cow cheese in that respect. Unfortunately. I could live with goat cheese.

GracieJ

Good luck! I went a long time thinking my digestion was fine. How wrong I was.

I recently went through a series of NAET treatments for all my food allergies. I test clear, but still can eat very little of what I was allergic to. It seems related to gut dysbiosis, as I had a really bad flare-up of candidiasis after a month adding grains back. The only prebiotic I can tolerate is cabbage rejuvelac. The rest of the time, I eat one, maybe two foods at a time anyway.

Further reading convinced me that there really is a big bad four, namely, casein, gluten, soy, and corn. I do my best to avoid all four with few exceptions.

I tried alternate recipes and ingredients for years. Did not like any of it, so just gradually got used to not eating the items. Whole grain bread I miss the most. Cheese is hardest, but I do tolerate white cheese, so have kept that.

It is hardest socially or cooking and caring for others. All traditional foods are out. I take a salad and a piece of broiled meat along if I am going to any huge dinners. Thanksgiving Day, I am the one bringing along a huge green salad for everyone.

My metabolic screening profile is high protein, high fat, low carb. Honestly, when I stick to that, I feel pretty good. I end up eating almost exactly the way the hCG diet has one eating, only in larger portions for the calories. Ironies of life.

xchocoholic

I've been enjoying Daiya dairy free cheese the last few months. Pepperjack is my favorite. I went on a Mexican food kick that included pace salsa, food for life brown rice tortilla shells, homemade refried beans and either fajita meats or taco meat. Taco seasoning recipe is on the web. :) Breakfast burritos are yummy too.

Strawberry cream cheese is good too. Imho, If you don't expect it to taste the same as real cheese you'll learn to like it.

Whole foods makes a hot gf pizza with daiya cheese.

fwiw, I was ok with recent gluten cc (cross contamination) but I take Enzymedica spectrum and glutenease each time. kow. I was too sensitive to gluten until about 3 months ago. It took my body about 8 years to chill. :0

The gf food available today is 100 times better now than it was 10 years ago. Still disappointed that most of it is frozen. Someday!

tc ... x

Last edited:

Martial

I did a year of dairy and wheat free to no benefit a couple of decades back ... also no coffee, etc. The worst was no chocolate for a year, and then finding I no longer like chocolate when I started eating such things again. I have had some testing, and never had an association of wheat or dairy with gut issues.

Yet this last year I have some kind of new inflammatory process. Its causing massive serum ferritin. My nerves are on fire, like burning feet syndrome but absolutely everywhere, even my scalp, though it waxes and wanes. Some time back I got a new brand of pasta from my shopper. I ate it twice. Both times I had a massive flair-up of my inflammatory nerve problem. I am currently exploring just how many products are made from rice - rice cakes, rice crackers, and of course the main carb in my diet, rice.

Wheat products causing issues may not be just from gluten, and they may be other than gut related. Recently gluten was implicated in depression for example.

You may want to cut back on the rice, I was doing a main brown rice diet for over two years and body building, so LOTS more food and brown rice then a normal person eats.. Then FDA makes a statement about the RDV of arsenic being way above in even one serving of rice! Especially brown rice being the worst?! Double screwed!! haha I had since a while ago cut it out completely, usually do yams, sweet potatoes, fruits, and veggies for carbs now.. Don't really eat beans or lentils either.

alex3619

Rice varies depending on where it is grown. Also I gave up brown rice a long time ago ... bad experience turned me off it. Chicken can also be high in arsenic depending on local food policy. Arsenic is a natural antibiotic, so some food industry types feed it to their animals.

SOC

Rice varies depending on where it is grown. Also I gave up brown rice a long time ago ... bad experience turned me off it. Chicken can also be high in arsenic depending on local food policy. Arsenic is a natural antibiotic, so some food industry types feed it to their animals.
:vomit: Dear god, we can't win, can we?

Martial

:vomit: Dear god, we can't win, can we?

lol!

well it is true that some amount is unavoidable, it is naturally found in rice, and certain fruits as well as most common drinking waters unless filtered..

It is not bad in those incremental amounts but its a different story when you ingest nothing but rice lol, I was eating lots of chicken, and brown rice in that time period and probably had arsenic levels through the roof!

Just keep things in moderation and all is always well.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Re gluten sensitivity, I have lots of stomach issues even if I go off gluten. However after being on gluten for a few months I get gall bladder issues: severe pain and vomiting every other day. Takes several months of being on gluten for this to happen, but within 24 hrs of going off gluten my gall bladder issues go away. I have tested this 4 or 5 times.

I'm thinking that if we're having a problem it's that gluten or dairy are increasing inflammation for some reason.
Gluten definitely causes inflammation for me, to the extent that I can see the swelling in my arms and my back will lock up.

We use rice and rice noodles a lot now, especially with more Asian dishes, and get some gluten-free corn pasta for more Italian type dishes. I also avoid the dairy, though my reaction to it isn't as bad, and use canned coconut milk for all of our sauces. Then I add different spices and veggies, tomato paste, etc to get a different cuisine style.

For drinking and cereal, I think almond milk has the nicest flavor, and eve our local mainstream grocery market is selling it in the Netherlands, where most people don't even "believe in" lactose intolerance :p I like the flavor better than regular milk, though it's not got the richness.

Cheshire

I tried to eat gluten free during a couple of weeks, but it made me feel really bad. I was weaker and weaker every day; so had to stop...

bertiedog

I seem to be quite lucky in that I don't need to go gluten-free but do not tolerate wheat products well so I avoid that all the time and have done for years now. I also do better on lower carb so I have half a slice of Pumpernickel bread (pure Rye) toasted for breakfast with a boiled egg, pate and some cream cheese.

For top up snacks am and pm I have just half a Ryvita with peanut butter or half a no sugar oatcake with almond or cashew butter. I also have half a Ryvita at 10 pm with some pate and cream cheese to keep me going through the night.

Pam

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@bertiedog
I didn't need a test to tell me I couldn't tolerate rye - the insides of my knees turn bright red if I so much as look at a Ryvita:(

brenda

@brenda. I have ibs. If I eat fruits and veggies on their own I cramp horribly. I have to have some soluble fiber aka carb in me first to lessen the cramping.

There is no one diet or way to eat for everyone.

Junk food is not a diet - it is just a recipe for disaster. Whole grains soaked and then sprouted is the healthy way to eat carbs.

It has been quite an eye opener to read this thread. No wonder some here are on medications. Do your bodies a favour and eat real food and you won't need to medicate..

vamah

Junk food is not a diet - it is just a recipe for disaster. Whole grains soaked and then sprouted is the healthy way to eat carbs.

It has been quite an eye opener to read this thread. No wonder some here are on medications. Do your bodies a favour and eat real food and you won't need to medicate..
That is quite a judgemental, sweeping generalization. You are making statements about people you know next to nothing about. I am sure there are many ways in which your lifestyle is imperfect and I don't think you would take kindly to people takng them out of the context of your life and judging you harshly because of it. I'm not sure how even a "perefct"diet would rid people of infections like lyme or of congenital disorders. Certainly nutrition is important, but statements like yours are incorrect amd unhelpful.