• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how to build up good bacterioids?

lizw118

This is related to the question I just posted re prevotella. I have been on Flagyl for over a year now and every time I go off of it I feel awful. The treatment was for lyme disease but I suspect it has wiped out some pathogenic gut stuff, which comes back when I stop it. Obviously this is a problem unless I stay on flagyl for the rest of my life. How to I get off of the flagyl and build my biome back up? I notice that ANY sugar makes it way way worse. Staying away from sugar is very difficult for me, though, sadly. Should I be rushing to get off of the flagyl and if so, should I just fight through the awful symptoms I have when I stop it? It seems like when I try and go off the flagyl i feel worse than I did before I started it, but I feel really good while I am on it (very functional)

maddietod

Does flagyl target only pathogenic gut stuff? If yes, could you rotate in some high-quality probiotics while increasing your resistant starch (a number of threads on PR about that) to feed the microbes you're encouraging?

lizw118

Does flagyl target only pathogenic gut stuff? If yes, could you rotate in some high-quality probiotics while increasing your resistant starch (a number of threads on PR about that) to feed the microbes you're encouraging?
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it only targets pathogenic guts stuff or not, actually. It's used for vaginal infection, gut infections like giardia and other similar bugs, and lyme disease for the cyst version of the bacteria. I am not sure how broad spectrum it is. I am definitely taking lots of probiotics. Right now I am taking mostly prescript assist but I change them. I am taking small doses of RS too, but I worry that will encourage prevotella growth. Is rotating antibiotics a good method for building up good bacteria in general? Maybe I will try that. What does that mean? Like a week off?

maddietod

Not antibiotics.....probiotics. I take 3 different probiotics, one most days, loosely rotated. I got my ideas from the resistant starch thread.

lizw118

I guess my question is, are there any probiotics that specifically encourage the growth of bacterioids over other stuff? Also, are there any probiotics other than the ubiquitous lacto and bifido strains other than the SBO's in Prescript Assist?