• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to change sheets without getting a hernia?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Has anyone figure out an easy way to change fitted sheets? I just changed mine and aside from the fatigue, I feel like I gave myself a hernia.

I have a platform bed so I have to lift 2 corners of the mattress to get sheets on. I can use deep pocket sheets which are much easier but then there is a puddle of sheet that I have to sleep on which I hate or use sheets that are a tight stretch (hence no puddle) but are killer to get on.

I don't use a top sheet. I've thought about the sheet garters but I'd still have the problem of having to lift the mattress on all corners instead of just 2 now.

Laying a flat sheet across the top leaves me with a mess of sheet to sleep on so that's out.

Anybody figure this out? I have tried wedging something between the sheets and the frame but it doesn't hold.

Also, please keep it simple. Brain fog rules:aghhh:

Last edited:

PennyIA

I do use deep pocket fitted sheets - but then I have a mattress pad, so regular ones would not fit. Or at least, wouldn't fit easily.

And yes - the sheet garters are a pain and I found that they would 'unsnap' all the time and didn't work anyway... and I also have given up flat sheets altogether as well.

BTW - I do strongly recommend using a mattress pad - if you ever wake up sore? OMG the 4" memory foam pads you can buy are AWESOME, the only complaint is that they do leave one 'warm' - so I have a second pad over it that's just a 'pillow top' - and that solves the overheating issue).... I did spend a pretty penny on the 4" memory foam pad - at around $90 for Queen size, but only about $20 for the pillow top cover.

BUT, back to your issue. In the past I used a really thick book - too thin and it'd droop, but a 4" thick book worked for me - each corner would be an inch or two off the box springs.. I'd lift an edge - slip the book in around center point... put the fitted sheet on that side... move to the other side and repeat. I'm sure there might be something that might be lighter than a book that you could perhaps use instead?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just need advice on changing sheets. I did try wedging something into the space between the frame and the mattress but that didn't work.

belize44

H'mm, maybe using a sheet that barely covers the top of the mattress, then using safety pins to anchor it the corners of the mattress?That way you only have to unpin then whisk it off the bed. BTW, I never tried this myself, but now I am going to, since I always fear injuring my overtaxed muscles when I have to stretch myself and pull on the corners of the fitted sheet. I remember once I was spreading some fabric on the table to cut it for a project, and I was in pain for a week, from using whatever muscles came into play, to maneuver the fabric and cut it. So I know making the bed is a lot like that.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm thinking pinning just the corners won't solve the problem of the sides coming up and bunching underneath me.

And I wonder if pinning it might tear the sheet or the mattress or pad when you move around?

I have a featherbed which is too warm for me so I'm thinking if I can find a cooler pad to put on top of that, that might take up some of the room with the big pocket sheets?

There has to be an easier way.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@minkeygirl

Changing a bed is one of our big tests. I've developed some tricks but they may only work for me. I have deep pocket sheets but also a very thick mattress. I hook on the top and bottom corners on one side (it is the side stretch that is most difficult for me) then give a tug on one corner, then kneel on it to hold it in place, give another tug and crawl forward to hold my ground till I get to the other side of the bed. Sounds pretty weird but it works for me.

Also, when I tuck in the rest of the bedding, I sit on the floor and jam it under the mattress with my flat hand rather than lifting the mattress. :wide-eyed:

Sushi

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
If I use regular sheets, because I have a platform bed and the mattress sits down a few inches I have to lift the corners of the mattress

With deep pocket sheets I don't have to lift the mattress but then I have that huge puddle of sheet that I can't stand.

Maybe a better question is how to keep that puddle from forming. Stuffing stuff down the sides does not work. I've tried it with several things. And I only have maybe 2 inches between the mattress and the side of the frame.

I need to find something to hold the sides of the sheet wedged underneath the mattress?

belize44

I'm thinking pinning just the corners won't solve the problem of the sides coming up and bunching underneath me.

And I wonder if pinning it might tear the sheet or the mattress or pad when you move around?

I have a featherbed which is too warm for me so I'm thinking if I can find a cooler pad to put on top of that, that might take up some of the room with the big pocket sheets?

There has to be an easier way.
Yes, you are right. There would be a risk of tearing the sheet if pinned. I hope others will come up with some more ideas!

I don't have any suggestions ... I just flutter my eyelashes until my fiance changes the sheets :rofl:

Maybe we can invent a solution, patent it, and get obscenely rich?

Kati

Patient in training
You will have a complete demonstration of how to make your bed here. i got tired just thinking about it. :bang-head: (And worried I wasn't doing it right...)

GracieJ

Changing bedding is my hardest task even when feeling pretty good. Just hard physically. I would delegate this task first in a heartbeat given the chance.

Consider doubling the mattress pad. Sheets stay put better.

Would it be possible to run one long seam down a side of your deep pocket sheet to fit it better for your situation? It would take up some slack.

Layer multiple fitted sheets on the mattress. Pull one off once a week to refresh the bedding without the full changeout. They stay put pretty well.

Newer sheets puddle less than old worn ones.

Last edited: