• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I dont get Fever

JAM

Jill
I actually had a fever a few weeks ago! AFAIK that is the first time since 1996, but of course I may have missed some, e.g. when not having a thermometer.

Could I be getting better...?
That would be nice! Are you taking anything that would explain getting better? A fever seems to be a sign that your immune system is getting a foot hold.

snowathlete

I wonder whether looking at patients cytokines in studies would make more sense and be more consistant if the patients were divided into groups depending on whether they get any fevers/cold/flu or not?

I doubt anyone has looked but it would surely be pretty simple and cheap to add to such a study.
@Jonathan Edwards - what do you think?

Gingergrrl

I have not had a cold, flu, infection, or fever since Jan 2013. I agree with @snowathlete and would be curious also if there were studies that separate us into two groups (those who get fevers and those who do not.) I know my temp is lower also due to thyroid issues but that seems separate from getting sick.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
That would be nice! Are you taking anything that would explain getting better? A fever seems to be a sign that your immune system is getting a foot hold.

I have been on a leaky-gut diet and supplements for about two and a half years. If it works, I expect it to take years. And there have been numerous changes, some coming early on and some later, which appear positive.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I wonder whether looking at patients cytokines in studies would make more sense and be more consistant if the patients were divided into groups depending on whether they get any fevers/cold/flu or not?

I doubt anyone has looked but it would surely be pretty simple and cheap to add to such a study.

I think that cytokines would need to be tested multiple times as they fluctuate a lot.

NK17

Cytokines measurements over many days is what Dr. Montoya has been doing and probably continues to do @ Stanford.

Also Dr. Kogelnik with Dr. Ron Davis and Dr. Mark Davis (both @ Stanford and both on the Science Board of OMI) are working on such markers, but their approach is very different from anything and anybody's previous ways of looking at the immune system.

They will find the answers because they are asking different questions and most importantly they have a systemic approach.

I think that they will do what @Jonathan Edwards has done in the RA treatment field back in the early 90's, in the ME field specifically, and more generally in immunology.

RL_sparky

Just to further add clarity to what NK17 is saying about the work being done at Stanford I reference an article that has been previously posted this week but for those who might not of seen it, it's worth the time to read it.

http://stanmed.stanford.edu/2014fall/immune-system-disruption.html

"As researchers gain a better understanding of this system, he’d like to develop a new set of metrics for immune system health that communicates more of a continuum of health rather than a black-and-white declaration. If the immune system is underactive, a person is open to infections, mutations and premature aging. If it is overactive, a person may suffer from allergies, autoimmune disease and excessive inflammation. Davis wants to redefine health as an immune system in balance, then develop better reporting tools to help clinicians determine if a patient is fighting a virus, a bacteria, an allergy or environmental toxins".