• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I have CBS and need help with a low sulfur diet

caledonia

It's a way to use your body's electromagnetic (EM) field and muscles to see if substances are good or bad for you without actually having to take them. I've refined it to also test amounts.

This is the video I learned from:

What she doesn't show you is that you should hold the substance while you're doing the testing. That way the EM field of the substance will be in contact with the EM field of your body.

No. If you are healthy, living a clean lifestyle and eating a good nutrient dense diet, I don't understand why you were supplementing with methylfolate and B12 anyway, except maybe as some kind of "insurance".

The CBS mutation (or any of the methylation SNPs) are not automatically "activated" just because you have them. They also require environmental toxins, viruses, or extreme amounts of prolonged stress to become an issue.

Even if your CBS was "activated" you would only have to restrict sulfur for a few months - long enough to remove the excess sulfur stores and get the transsulfuration pathway working again.

You can do the HDRI Methylation Pathways Panel to get a measurement of the functional status of your methylation pathway. This will tell you if things are operating correctly or not.

So, if you're otherwise healthly and feel good, I would keep doing what you're doing. However, since our world is so toxic, I would also pay particular attention to eliminating toxins from your environment. So that means living as if you had MCS - so be careful about household cleaning products, paints, markers, new furniture, remodeling, new car, etc. All these things will offgas formaldehyde and other compounds and deplete glutathione.

I would also suggest making a FIR sauna or other methods of detoxification part of your daily routine. This will detox out chemicals and metals which your body would otherwise squirrel away in your fat.

ps. since your and your wife are both CBS +/+, all of your children will also be CBS +/+. There is a neat little chart on the Heartfixer page, that will give you an idea of what SNPs your children might have, based on what the parents have. http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm
caledonia - I was reading your previous post above, and this sounds like me. I'm very overwhelmed right now b/c I did not have any problems with sulfur-foods, medications, anything before I took m-folate and active b-12 based on my dr's direction. I've been a mess ever since. (I did nothting to address my +/- CBS prior).

I want to go back to the way I functioned prior to the those active supplements. Your post above indicates that if one has a healthy diet and doesn't seem to have problems with detoxification, there's no need for methyl supplements, correct?

That's my goal. I'm really scared to even try those supplements again. I'd like to stop this path and go back to my "normal" self, but I felt like I've opened a can of worms and will need to continue to "fix it."

Your post indicates otherwise. Do you have any insight into how I can get back to normal...by just working through the CBS sulfur issue?

caledonia

caledonia - I was reading your previous post above, and this sounds like me. I'm very overwhelmed right now b/c I did not have any problems with sulfur-foods, medications, anything before I took m-folate and active b-12 based on my dr's direction. I've been a mess ever since. (I did nothting to address my +/- CBS prior).

I want to go back to the way I functioned prior to the those active supplements. Your post above indicates that if one has a healthy diet and doesn't seem to have problems with detoxification, there's no need for methyl supplements, correct?

That's my goal. I'm really scared to even try those supplements again. I'd like to stop this path and go back to my "normal" self, but I felt like I've opened a can of worms and will need to continue to "fix it."

Your post indicates otherwise. Do you have any insight into how I can get back to normal...by just working through the CBS sulfur issue?

Mindy, to stop or slow down methylation, discontinue the folate and B12, and take 50-100mg of the nicontinic acid form of niacin (a slow release form). Note that most pills come in 500mg doses, so that's way too much. You'll need to divide the pill. This will soak up methyl groups and slow down or stop methylation. Depending on how much you've gotten the methylation cycle rolling, you may need to take the niacin four times a day for several days. So take it until your symptoms are cleared.

What symptoms are you having? There are many other things besides CBS which can cause methylation startup symptoms.

How did your doctor determine that you needed these supplements? Did you take a functional test of your methylation cycle to see if it's working improperly?

Check out the links in my signature starting with the Methylation Made Easy videos.

@caledonia, Thanks for the info. I will try the niacin; however, I stopped the active supplements months ago, so do I still need it? If so, can I take it with the molyb and yucca root to reduce my sulfur and ammonia levels, which are very high right now?

My history: I am working with a naturopathic dr. to treat chronic lyme disease. My only real symptom from this is chronic bladder infections. When I told my dr. that I'm going through infertility testing, she suggested I do a blood test for MTHFR, which showed homozygeous for A1298C but -/- for the other major one (can't remember the numbers off hand).

Based on this test alone, she told me to take active b-12 and m-folate. I started at high doses without testing anything else. This led to TERRIBLE head symptoms after eating sulfur foods, which I lived on prior and had never had problems with before taking these supplements. My diet used to primarily consist of garlic, onion, spinach, broccoli, yogurt, eggs and wine sometimes :) and high protein.

After these symptoms, I did research and realized the problem was much bigger so found a dr. who understands methylation, did 23andme testing but am still having trouble clearing the CBS.

My symptoms have worsened recently after taking a course of ABX, Nystatin and sleeping pills' all must have sulfates to preserve. I am experiencing dizziness and head pressure, esp. after eating. I'm also having terrible insomnia and wake with the dizziness. When I take charcoal it seems to clear it. Inflammation is up as well but have noticed it come down when I take the yucca or charcoal.

I'm just so frustrated b/c I feel I created a mess that I haven't been able to fix since March. And it wasn't a problem before :(. Thank you for your input.

Adlyfrost

Had my homocysteine tested a few weeks ago and it came back as "7", which I guess is normal. And I am seeing a practitioner who specializes in methylation in a few weeks.

Anyway, I took a few weeks off of methylfolate and methylcobalamin after my first overmethylation experience. But, I accidentally overmethylated again when I tried half the methylfolate/methylcobalamin dose (totally my mistake, as I overlooked a B-complex I had taken the day before I tried half the amount of methylfolate/methylcobalamin). So, I took niacin (as nicontinic acid) to back me down. I thought that was the end of it...

But, this time I noticed that I keep getting panic attacks even though it's been five days since I last ingested the methylfolate/methylcobalamin. I think it's from eating too much sulfur/thiols before, during and after overmethylating — even though I've always felt great eating those foods (at least when not taking methylfolate/methylcobalamin).

Does that sound right? From what I'm gathering here, it sounds like overmethylation specifically causes a CBS ++ individual to become especially sulfur sensitive — at least temporarily. And maybe, a high sulfur/thiol diet causes a CBS++ to become especially sensitive to overmethylation. Does that sound right?

Part of me wishes I never touched methylfolate/methylcobalamin to begin with. I can't believe there isn't a warning on those bottles!

VDR Taq ++, MAO A R297R +, MTHFR C677T ++, BHMT-08 ++, CBS C699T ++
VDR Bsm +-, ACAT1-02 +-, MTRR A66G +-. BHMT-02 +-, BHMT-04 +-, AHCY-01 +-, AHCY-02 +-, AHCY-19 +-, NOS3 D298E +-
Check it out- we have similar SNP's. My start up reaction to methylation was just like yours but now that it has leveled off fatigue back with a vengeance. I thought the anxiety would never go away but it did.