• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

icy cold, can't warm up

taniaaust1

For me, it's like the chills one gets from having a virus cold. Heating pad doesn't help much, hot drinks help somewhat. Exercise will definitely break through it, but maybe/probably you can't do that. .

This symptom usually comes on with crashing or a worsened baseline.. so exercise would be the worst thing a ME/CFS person could do at this point. She really needs to take it easy so her ME/CFS can hopefully improve a bit. Its only with some ME/CFS improvement it is very likely to shift.

sorry all about the caps but I think this was an important point, to exercise with this even would probably be dangerous (ME wise), also consider that a person with this, has no awareness if their body overheats.

Exercise wont definately break this inner and all over chilliness state.

Last edited:

Min

I am very grateful for your comments and suggestions, sorry others have temperature problems, and will see if an infra red heat pad is available in the UK.

RYO

I went for acupuncture treatment yesterday. There is definitely some improvement. I am also trying compression hose. Seems simple but many patients with autonomic dysfunction benefit.

From a pathophysiology stand point, using external heat may exacerbate neurovascular dysfunction and particularly fatigue by causing more vasodilation (low blood volume).

Personally, I have never had hypercoagulation issues.

It would be nice if there was a drug that would specifically target neurovascular dysfunction and root cause. We need to find out what is triggering this cascade.

RYO

Here are some additional thoughts about pathophysiology and potential diagnostics and treatments. I have seen several other posts on cytokine profiles of CFS patients as well as importance of microRNA or miRNA.

It seems to me that the common pathway in many viral illnesses is production of interferon gamma. I can't site specific papers but CFS/ME patients have higher circulating levels of this cytokine along with a few others. Gamma interferon is what makes us feel ill, poisoned, and ache all over.

MicroRNA or miRNA is known to be a potential regulator of interferon gamma production.

There have been recent posts on MicroRNA such as - "High-Throughput Sequencing of Plasma MicroRNA in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis"

There are a host of viruses that can produce viral miRNA. Also different viruses can induce variable host reponse miRNAs.

It seems to me, this would be a worthy area of study for CFS/ME patients.

RYO

I can across an article that studied effects of Salvia Miltiorrhiza on Interleukin-12 and interferon gamma. It states Salvia Miltiorrhiza can decrease levels of IL-12 and gamma interferon.

Interferon gamma is often sited as a cytokine that is elevated in CFS/ME patients. It would be an interesting study to see if this chinese herb can ameliorate CFS/ME symptoms. I have also read that vitamin D3 can decrease levels of gamma interferon.

Please note that Salvia Miltiorrhiza has blood thinning effects and should not be take with other prescription blood thinners or antiplatelet agents. Use should also be avoided before any surgery.

Some websites list poor appetite and other gastrointestinal side effects. Has anyone take this herb on a regular basis?

stridor

I apologize as I have not read this thread but feel compelled to offer my experience anyway.

I had low temps. And I never felt cold. The two are not synonymous. I had temps down to 33.4 = 92 or something close. I had confusion with that one but I don't remember feeling cold. But on the other hand, I was all messed up.

I went a year without a temp higher than 36 = 96 or something close. I was also peeing a lot. Both rectified when I dealt with mercury. Beware of oral temps. During this time armpit was the same which suggests that the oral was low. Those with Reynaud like or other cause for cold feet will get wonky oral temps as there is a little known reflex at play.

The temperature rectified at about 100 rounds of chelation and the 20+ urinations a day (every 15 min after supper and up 4-5 times a night) left within 3 days of starting B12.

akrasia