• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IGF-1 to treat autoimmune diseases?

Bob

I don't know anything about the drug but, after reading the article, I'd like to see it tested on ME/CFS patients.
As far as my understanding goes, T cell dysregulation seems like an area that should be explored in ME/CFS. I don't know if it's been investigated much.

As an aside, Dr Derya Unutmaz discussed T cells, particularly in relation to leaky gut, in a recent Solve CFS video:

Revel

A hospital in South Korea ran a trial in 2012 on the effect of fermented antler velvet on CFS patients. I think that its IGF -1 content was the main ingredient 'under the microscope' as the potential wonder cure.

No results have been forthcoming, so I'm guessing it didn't go so well . . . :meh:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
When I first got sick in 94 people were all excited about antler velvet. IMO it was just some way for someone to make money off the backs of the sick.

@adreno, how much DHEA do you need to take?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I don't know anything about the drug but, after reading the article, I'd like to see it tested on ME/CFS patients.
As far as my understanding goes, T cell dysregulation seems like an area that should be explored in ME/CFS. I don't know if it's been investigated much.

As an aside, Dr Derya Unutmaz discussed T cells, particularly in relation to leaky gut, in a recent Solve CFS video:

The problem for me is that as far as I know we have no evidence of any T cell dysregulation in human autoimmune disease - at least not the ones I used to work on. This study is on mice and I am not convinced that the experimentally induced mouse diseases being treated have much to do with spontaneous human disease.

Strawberry

Ema

helios

I would definitely like to trial some IGF-1 injections since my IGF levels are below normal and my T cells are also at the lowest level of normal. It would fall in same realm of GH in terms of difficulty in getting support from doctors to try it. Probably also cost wise as well.
Yes DHEA is supposed to help boost IGF levels. I tried this a number of years ago, but had skin issues and bad hair loss on it. I have tried a couple of other supplements that also supposedly improve IGF-1 levels but have not had a blood test for quite a while to verify if my blood levels improved. They were Colostrum powder and Deca (nandrolone). I did feel healthier while I was on both..Much more so on the Deca. I have taken them again a few times since and been disappointed with the improved health effect being hardly noticeable : (

Strawberry

Most women take 10-25 mg of DHEA a day.
I decided to try the DHEA spray again as I hadn't paid attention to if it worked last time, and found out I wasn't taking enough either. I was told to "take 15 mg one dose per day", so I did one spray per day, which is 5 mg. Oops. So this time I upped it to 3 sprays (15 mg), but had to quit after just a couple of days due to an extremely sore tongue. Not sure if it is the DHEA or not? I know my sublingual B pill makes the underside of my tongue like hamburger, so it could be the B vitamins also.

Hip

If anyone wants to try IGF-1, it is available as a supplement in the form of deer velvet antler (the velvet coating on deer antler is naturally high in IGF-1). This is taken sublingually.

The deer velvet antler IGF-1 I bought was the Nutronics Labs IGF-1 Plus Maximum (100,000 nanograms). By taking a sublingual dose of 140 nanograms of IGF-1 (which equates to one drop of this product), I found it improved my sleep (I slept a bit deeper). More than two drops of this product, though, and I found it creates an aggressive energy and disposition, which I don't like.

Cheaper and purer IGF-1 can be found on the websites that sell peptide hormones to body builders, such as this one and this one.