• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inclined Bed Therapy

Forbin

I started doing this several years ago by centering each of the wheels under the head of my bed on-top of an over-sized (~8x10) soft-cover book about 1.5 inches thick. Because the books are big and "soft" the wheels press into them, becoming fairly secure (though not doing the books any favors). You might not think that 1.5 inches is enough of an elevation to help, but it seemed to improve my sleep (can't rule out placebo effect, of course).

Other things that have apparently helped my sleep:
  • Light blocking curtains
  • Running a fan all night (white noise)
  • Nasal strips (possibly helps because I have a deviated septum which may restricts air flow)

Personally, I think ME makes you more sensitive to waking stimuli when you sleep. If you sleep past dawn, the curtains block out the changing light. If there are noises in your neighborhood, the white noises helps to mask them. The elevated bed and nasal strips may improve air flow problems that might also wake you up. My sleep improved when I did all these things.

If you think you may have true sleep apnea, however, you should, of course, see a doctor.

Last edited:

manna

It is surprising just how much an inch or two can affect you. I have only just moved up from 3 inches to 3.5 and the difference is really quite marked. Still might be good to go higher Forbin, if it can be done safely? Good other tips...I use blankets to black out my windows and that feels necessary. As for white noise here's a vid I play during the day...8 hours of birdsong and a waterfall. I imagine the waterfall might be similar to the fan and if you sleep with it on you wake in a really good mood. I reckon the joyfull birdsong is definitely infectious, in a good way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFTSS

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Shame it didn't help @Sasha. Andrew Wakefield, the "re-inventor", recommends against foam because it will lose it's shape to some extent. Also the 10 degrees must be wrong as 5 degrees is a whopping 6.5 inches and that would make 10 degrees over double that at 13 inches plus with the curve...folk can fall down the bed on just seven inches. In case you were doing just your back, which you could do at 10 degrees, but is also not advised due to pressure on the lumbar region and because it doesn't give the benefits. Just thought I'd say in case what you did is different though maybe it was the same and just didn't work. Thanks for input.

I hope anyone who's trying it is getting some benefits..atb..

I got heavy-duty foam so I think it held its shape pretty well (a bit too well, if anything!). I just can't remember about the dimensions.

Keela Too

Sally Burch
I read somewhere that if you inclined your bed like this, it might help prevent the need to pee often in the night. This thread has reminded me I thought about trying that....

I slept like this through each of my pregnancies due to heart burn! Helped then and wasn't uncomfortable.

SDSue

Southeast
I got heavy-duty foam so I think it held its shape pretty well (a bit too well, if anything!). I just can't remember about the dimensions.
I wonder if you could share what kind of business made the foam for you? My bed is simply too heavy for any other method. Between gastric reflux and OI/POTS, I'm getting desperate for a solution.

Thanks!

Forbin

Although I've never used one, Beautyrest makes something called the "Geo Incline Foam Topper" (or "Mattress Topper").

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FASTTRACK-Simmons-Beutyrest-Geo-Incline-Foam-Topper/15581054

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Beautyrest-Geo-Incline-Mattress-Topper/3678666/product.html
Beautyrest-Geo-Incline-Mattress-Topper-600d4903-4490-4f0a-b183-cbf4fad1053a_320.jpg

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Forbin
Thanks. This looks interesting, I'd like one a few inches higher, but this would help. If I get one, I'll report back. I'm using a bunch of pillows now.

Sushi

SDSue

Southeast
@Forbin Thanks. I ordered one. I'll post and let folks know how it works.

@Sushi I'm thinking I'll get one, see how it goes and get accustomed to the slight elevation, then possibly order one more to add to the mix. Perhaps with some compression which can be expected, the overall rise will with 2 combined will end up being around 8 inches? We'll see. Between reflux and not tolerating POTS meds, I'm getting desperate :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Forbin Thanks. I ordered one. I'll post and let folks know how it works.

@Sushi I'm thinking I'll get one, see how it goes and get accustomed to the slight elevation, then possibly order one more to add to the mix. Perhaps with some compression which can be expected, the overall rise will with 2 combined will end up being around 8 inches? We'll see. Between reflux and not tolerating POTS meds, I'm getting desperate :)

I was thinking of the possibility to using 2 of them too. Please let me know how you like it. Reading the reviews, people say it is good to let it air for a few days before using it.

Hope it works for you! :)

Sushi

Forbin

Even though it is called a "topper," some of the reviewers recommend that it be placed under the mattress. They say that the foam does not actually compress very much. The effect seems like it would be the same, so it probably just amounts to which way you find more comfortable.

LUGEOT

manna

I hope foam works folks. Personally, the fire retardents etc, would be too much for me as I'm chemically sensitive. Just to re-iterate though, for folk reading generally, foam is sometimes advised against being used in IBT. I could appreciate heavy duty foam keeping it's shape underneath a mattress (more comfy, and potentially more effective, than sleeping directly on it i agree), though, but you still have the fire retardants etc. I suppose if it doesn't belly where ya bum is (keep an eye out for that) and chemicals present no problems, you'll be ok. Certainly buying foam could be easier for some folk though I'd be looking to make an adjustable wooden wedge for the whole mattress if I can't do the bed...but each to their own and what they can do.

Also an increase of 0.5 inches is alot for me personally, once I'm inclined 3 inches anyway, and it's good I have a much more accurate control of the incline increase.

Mercola's site talks of resting heart beat being substantially lower when sleeping on natural materials though that's potentially another topic. Good luck with it.

F1.medium.gif

Caesarian section being performed in Uganda on an inclined bed.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I wonder if you could share what kind of business made the foam for you? My bed is simply too heavy for any other method. Between gastric reflux and OI/POTS, I'm getting desperate for a solution.

Thanks!

I think I just googled on "foam cutting" and put the name of the nearest big town in and it came up with several options.

A tip! I think they charge by the rectangular block so you can get two wedges out of a single block - so you might want the rectangular block to be half the height you want the end result to be, if you're going to stack wedges.

manna

I read somewhere that if you inclined your bed like this, it might help prevent the need to pee often in the night. This thread has reminded me I thought about trying that....

I slept like this through each of my pregnancies due to heart burn! Helped then and wasn't uncomfortable.

I am definitely visiting the loo much less in the night...from 3 to 1 averaging. A close internet friend of mine felt the need to sleep inclined, naturally, following a caesarian section birth. Reflux is supposedly one of the main reasons folk try IBT.

I thought this was interesting..."IBT" in the sci fi programme Babylon 5 mentioned and shown in the opening scene. Not sure if it's coincidental or from some script writers experience with it.

""We consider sleeping in the horizontal, tempting death"

SDSue

Southeast
I received my mattress elevator from Amazon.

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 6.01.52 PM.png

Straight out of the package:

1. There was no odor ( I am very sensitive to odors).
2. It measured the full 5" at the top and 3/4" at the bottom, so with help I put it between my mattress and box spring.
3. It is fully Queen sized.

I've had other mattress toppers that were scantly sized and took several days to outgas and decompress. So far, so good with this one. I'll post later when I know how it holds up.

But for tonight, I'm hoping for no reflux, less neuropathy in my feet, fewer trips to the loo, and, while I'm making my wish list, completely cured dysautonomia by morning! :)

manna

So that's 4 1/4 inches. That's quite an increase to begin with but might be ok. Good luck and expect some strange healings. My eyes were all buzzy for a while.

SDSue

Southeast
What a night. Ugghh.

At 4:58, after struggling with burning feet, chest pain, pounding head, etc, I finally got out of bed and removed the elevator from under my mattress - which left me crawling on the floor, dizzy and vomiting from the exertion. Never did get my mattress back on my bed. (insert complaints about this damn disease)

@manna you were right. 4 1/4 inches was WAY too much. What is a conservative starting point?

So I'm back to square one. My headboard weighs a ton - too heavy to put lifts under. Looks like I'll have to go @Sasha 's route and order something from a local fabricator.

Is it really worth it? Is anyone really having success for anything other than reflux?

Valentijn

@SDSue - "Training" methods used for OI tend to be a huge disaster for ME patients. They assume that OI is the only problem, whereas for us OI is likely just a symptom of other more serious issues.

SDSue

Southeast
Thanks, @Valentijn! I'd call this one a huge disaster lol. I'll be paying for at least a week.

At some point, you'd think I'd learn to just stop trying every new thing. Sigh. I guess maybe that's a good sign that I really haven't given up yet, regardless of how down I get some days.

Onward we go.

manna

What a night. Ugghh.

At 4:58, after struggling with burning feet, chest pain, pounding head, etc, I finally got out of bed and removed the elevator from under my mattress - which left me crawling on the floor, dizzy and vomiting from the exertion. Never did get my mattress back on my bed. (insert complaints about this damn disease)

@manna you were right. 4 1/4 inches was WAY too much. What is a conservative starting point?
Is anyone really having success for anything other than reflux?

Hi @SDSue Didn't sound like fun. Hope you're feeling better now. A conservative starting point? I don't know for sure. I assume it'll be different for everyone. The fella who posted previously said he gets benefit from 1.5 inches so maybe around that. I'm at 3.5 and, even though I'm finding great benefits, I know I couldn't even raise it half an inch at present, without it being too much. Thats not to imply that what I'm doing atm is pushing me, it's not, it's helping me relax more if anything. It's deceptively powerfull and one needs to go slow but don't be put off yet. I hear ya about "trying everything"...sometimes I kick myself for causing issues from trying stuff but then alot of it has made differences.

I didn't have reflux prior to trying IBT. I was able to start at 2.5 inches and had immediate benefit. Many healthy people never go over 3-4 inches apparently, though that seems to be females. Men are perhaps a little more wam bam. It would seem your best bet would be a base under your mattress that can be inclined slowly.