• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Income taxes and overseas prescriptions

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm wondering if anyone has every used overseas prescriptions as deductions on their income taxes?

Theoretically it was an approved RX since the online pharmacist approved my RX for acyclovir and I have about $500 worth of deductions.

Just wondering

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I asked my tax guy last year and he seemed to think I couldn't claim it. I'd rather know for sure then a guess.

vamah

I would look up the relevant section on the irs website. If it is not specifically excluded then you should be ok.

Of course, it can be hard to sift through the irs language. I had that problem last year trying to figure out which college expenses were deductable.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
IRS are sneaky bastards.

I guess if you take the code literally it only says require a prescription, not that you had one to get it.

I'd hate to be the one who gets audited and then gets the whistle blown on a great overseas pharmacy

Yes paranoia strikes deep!