• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Infection testing in Ontario

Aileen

With different levels of testing available in different countries and even regions in a country, it might be helpful for patients to know what tests mainstream doctors in their area have access to.

I would like to know what types of bacteria and fungi (yeast) can be tested for in Ontario. What are standard tests that any family doctor would know about?

I definitely have an infection. We have done all the testing for the usual viral suspects. Nothing found. We have done the standard stool tests for ova/parasites. Nothing found. Actually, I think we've done just about all the routine fecal testing.

Because the above has been ruled out and because I am smelling ammonia (fishy smell) and another strong, nasty smell (I'm guessing sulfer) I want to check for bacterial and fungal infections. I need as much info as possible to figure out which pre- and probiotics to take and which (if any) antibiotics or antifungals I need.

What types of bacteria would my doctor be able to test? Could the family doctor test for "every" type of bacteria the labs have tests for, or are there certain conditions that must be met for specific tests to be allowed? Some patients here are reporting positive tests for Yersinia. Can we test for that?

What about fungi? Candida can be tested for but what about other types?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

globalpilot

You need a couple of databases. GammaDynaCare has a full list of their tests on their website.
The 2nd one is the Public Health database. With a little googling you should be able to find it. I have seen it but don't have it handy at the moment.

Sometimes, even when your doctor agrees to a certain test, Public Health may decline it based on what you wrote as your reason for doing the test. I sent in blood to be tested for HHV6, it was declined, sent in another sample with a better description and they tested it.

They don't do all the tests (Public Health and blood labs) that, for example, Dr Montoya might order. Eg. I had to go to the Us to get HHV6 antibody testing done that he suggests.

And finally, your doctor may be reluctant to order too many tests due to the costs.