• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Influence of graded exercise therapy on anxiety levels and health-related quality of life in CFS

Bob

New small Serbian study (n=26) of GET for CFS.

In a nutshell, there was no significant improvement in physical function. I haven't read the full paper but from the abstract it looks like there was no control group, which means the study doesn't provide robust data.

Influence of graded exercise therapy on anxiety levels and health-related quality of life in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Klasnja A, Grujic N, Popadic Gacesa J, Barak O, Tomic S, Brkic S.
The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 2014 April;54(2):210-5
http://www.minervamedica.it/en/journals/sports-med-physical-fitness/article.php?cod=R40Y2014N02A0210

Last edited:

determined

I'd have to look more carefully at the experimental design, but it seems logical to assume that those who are ABLE to partake of GET are going to be more likely to respond positively. My experience over decades with CFS is that one has to get better first and only then can the graded exercise follow....and once that happens, more rapid improvement is possible.

Dolphin

http://www.apa.org/pi/about/publica...ce-settings/assessment/tools/trait-state.aspx
The State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI)
Construct: Adult anxiety
Description of Measure: The State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) is a commonly used measure of trait and state anxiety (Spielberger, Gorsuch, Lushene, Vagg, & Jacobs, 1983). It can be used in clinical settings to diagnose anxiety and to distinguish it from depressive syndromes. It also is often used in research as an indicator of caregiver distress

Form Y, its most popular version, has 20 items for assessing trait anxiety and 20 for state anxiety. State anxiety items include: “I am tense; I am worried” and “I feel calm; I feel secure.” Trait anxiety items include: “I worry too much over something that really doesn’t matter” and “I am content; I am a steady person.” All items are rated on a 4-point scale (e.g., from “Almost Never” to “Almost Always”). Higher scores indicate greater anxiety. The STAI is appropriate for those who have at least a sixth-grade reading level.

I found the 20 questions listed as question 11 in this file:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/supplementary/1472-6874-11-22-s1.doc
(they may be elsewhere on the internet also)

Dolphin

Results weren't that good. These were 26 women of average age 36 who seem to have healthy BMIs (average weight / average h squared = 21.9)
Klasnja Table 2 cropped.jpg

If they were recovered, one would expect SF-36 PF scores of 90-100.

Attachments

• Klasnja Table 2.jpg
    Klasnja Table 2.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 7

Dolphin

The exercise was done in person rather than at home:
Klasnja exercise cropped.jpg

This is quite a lot of attention. Combine this with the commitment and would think there's a possibility for some placebo effects/people saying they're better than they are.

These were patients where the "mean number of months with fatigue was 17, ranging from 12 to 22 months". So one might think that such early-stage individuals might even improve a little naturally over time.

So results not exciting.

Last edited:

Dolphin

Aside:
Quoting the PACE Trial and the Edmonds et al. Cochrane Review, they said:
"It has been shown that patients who underwent physical activity therapy had a significant decrease of pain and were able to carry out their daily routines with ease, unlike a controlled group which did not undergo this therapy."

This is overstating the previous evidence.

Last edited:

Dolphin

Quite a lot of the paper is about how the STAI (anxiety) results correlated with the SF-36 subscale scores. The implication is that because the STAI scores went up, as they're correlated with the SF-36 scores, this means people's functioning was helped. But we've a better way of checking this: just look at the results of the SF-36 subscales, which generally didn't go up. The authors seem to be trying to spin the small positives they achieved father than they should.

Results weren't that good. These were 26 women of average age 36 who seem to have healthy BMIs (average weight / average h squared = 21.9)
View attachment 8081
If they were recovered, one would expect SF-36 PF scores of 90-100.
It's interesting that only Vitality (which focuses on "fatigue") improved, but nothing else. This is another nice example of the brainwashing effect, I think - patients are told they shouldn't feel fatigued, and a minor significant improvement shows up on the questionnaire regarding fatigue. Yet physical functioning, physical limitations, pain, etc, don't improve.

A.B.

CBT is effective for every problem known to man, as long as we measure said problem according to opinion and the CBT is focused on changing that opinion in the desired direction

Then again these people think perception (and not reality) is what matters, so they might not even see anything wrong with this. I wonder what they would do if, instead of getting paid, they were told that not being able to pay their bills is only a problem due to their poor attitude :rofl: