• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inner vibrations....what are they really?

soxfan

I am sure this has been written about before but I am having a particularly bad day with these shaking vibrations. It is only behind my chest and sometimes runs down into my abdomen area. It feels like I have about 50 cell phones inside me that are vibrating.
I am wondering if anyone knows what this is and the cause. I haven't done anything different the past few days...no added stress etc. Its not even that I am tired...sleepy or fatigued. I just feel kind of empty and drained inside.

I have no idea why this is suddenly going on today. I have had this in the past and there just doesn't seem to be a pattern or reason behind them. I suppose there probably isn't any reasoning where this illness is concerned. I did wake up feeling kind of drained this morning for some reason so maybe this inner vibration is the result of that.

Nothing helps this feeling...I have tried klonopin...Ativan...L theanine...kavanace...and it doesn't calm them down. This is one of my worse symptoms when it happens as they are just horrendous.

Sparrow

I don't have any answers for you. Just lots of sympathy.

I had really bad vibrations in my torso sometimes when I first hit bottom, and they were awful. Every now and then they'd creep up to the level of my heart, my heart would join the stuttering for a second, and I swear in that moment I felt like I was suffocating. They eventually went away, but I was doing so many things at the time that I have no idea what might have helped them (or if they just went away with time). Sorry you're dealing with them. I really hated those.

I've since found out that kind of heart sensation can be due to electrical issues. So maybe there's some kind of electrical connection to the vibrations? No idea.

xchocoholic

I can only relate this to having too much caffeine or other toxic chemical that day. At this point
certain vitamins (p5p and mb12) that I used to be ok with will do this to me.

I suspect it's either my heart or adrenals freaking out. The only remedy I've found so far is waiting it out but I'm sure there are things I haven't tried yet.

Sorry I'm not any help. Tc .. X

Ps. I "think" that eating real unprocessed meat throughout the day makes me less succeptible to this. Like you, klonopin doesn't help.

rosie26

I still get this soxfan, but not as severe in it's intensity now.
Usually comes on when I've tried to do too much and have been using up adrenaline reserves, it seemed to me that way.
Rest, rest and more rest was the only way to ease it for me. (and that is laying down rest).
If you are in severe ME it won't take much to over do it. I found the biggest and best "pill" was rest. But it is an ongoing "pill" you have to take and takes years to get to more reasonable levels. Keep on resting and eating as well as you can.

Asklipia

IMHO these vibrations are a desperate effort of the body to get the lymph in the lymphatic system to move. This is normally achieved by the pump of the sympathetic system behind the heart. If this is not working because there are not enough twisting movements (exhaustion, paralysis etc...) the lymph accumulates and is stuck.
If there is no sympathetic response because chemicals to work it are exhausted (too much stress, disturbance of circadian and ultradian rhythms, intake of poisons), this pump stops temporarily.
Shivers, yawning, trampoline use, massage, tremors etc compensate partly for this.
Be well!
Asklipia

soxfan

Thanks for these great ideas....I know for sure my sympathetic/parasympathetic system is totally out of whack. My doctor is working with me to try and get it back in synch but of course there is no magic pill for this. We are working on meditation and tai chi in the future.
It is truly one of the worse feelings besides when I am in a PEM crash. I am sure stress played a big roll in this as thinking back I was doing a lot around the house in 92+ heat and humidity. I guess I used up my reserves or what little I had to keep going. I really should know better by now but we are trying to get our house on the market for sale and there is so much to do....

I am feeling a little better today and will definitely take it easy and rest again. So frustrating....

rosie26

It is so frustrating soxfan.
I get so frustrated at having to rest all the time, there is so much to do, I want to go spend the whole day at the beach and swim, then the next day would like to go shopping all day, I'd like to be able to dig over the vege garden at least in one or two days, the place here needs a spring clean in the next few months. Be great to go visit friends and family and stay a week without ill effect. It's hard to have to rest all the time but it's the thing that helps me most.

xchocoholic

I've used a bp hr monitor when feeling this way and find my hr elevated a feW
times. My hr will go up if I'm reacting to a toxin or allergen.

Interesting comment on lymph drainage. I'll look at that. Tx .. x

soxfan

The most frustrating thing about this is that I have no idea what causes these for me at least. I don't know how to prevent them because they come on very randomly so how do you prevent them from happening. A few weeks ago I was feeling pretty good...doing a little more but not overdoing and I had no ill effects.

Then I do nothing out of the ordinary and end up with a terrible crash. Now today I have to work and I am really not totally recovered...I feel like half my life has been put back inside me and not totally drained. I use to get these maybe 2 or 3 times a year and haven't had one in over a year at least....

SaraM

I had the same problem, and it was due to adrenal fatigue. Hydrocortisone for a couple of months stopped the viberation. Sorry if I can't give more info, because I am very sick now.

roxie60

I hate that sensation. And it varies in intensity and time. For what ever reason the past few weeks the vibrating, muscle twitching, nerve explosions have reduced in intensity (for which I am very grateful). This symptom is as grating on me as the tinnitus since it just does not stop, it is distracting and aggravating. Especially not knowing what causes it and what makes it vary. Exertion seems to increase th intensity of the symp for me and I'm sure when my body is extremely out of balance it gets worse. I hope you symp calms down soon. I have been taking Daxitrol, Kavinace, mb12, bcomplex, mentanx, CoQ10, Folate, bioflavanoids, and a few others I cant recall right now

soxfan

I was taking the vitamin powder formulated by Dr. Tietlebaum and it did nothing...tried it for a month and felt no different. Also d ribose..same thing..nothing. I am thinking about going back on my small dose pd hydrocortisone and see of that helps. So far nothing I have ever taken does any good. Te nerve pain and twitching in my calf also kick up a notch when I am having the inner vibrations. Have no idea what the relationship is between the two.

I had to work today and felt like I was on the verge of Collapse and have to work again tomorrow. If I knew what triggered these episodes I would do anything to avoid them because they truly are the worse.

parvofighter

Hi soxfan, I just happened upon this thread, and thought you might be interested in a similar thread here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/internal-tremors-anyone.5335/#post-115913 that discusses "Internal Tremor".

Not sure if this will help - I really think this is an interesting manifestation of at least some subgroups of M.E., and I look forward to learning what it is, myself. I do find it interesting though, that Dr Julia Newton's team - the Newcastle University group - also found endothelial dysfunction in their research on M.E. patients (http://www.meresearch.org.uk/research/studies/2012/endofunction.html ). You can also find this full article from the International Journal of Cardiology if you type in "Large and small artery endothelial dysfunction, chronic fatigue syndrome", and also add "Niceguidelines blog".

Cheers from a relapsed Parvo in Canada

soxfan

thanks parvo for the links. I did read them but am not sure that is me....mine feel more like constant vibrations like what a cell phone feels like when it is vibrating only it is from my chest to my abdomen. Like the entire area is vibrating. I am seeing the doctor this Wednesday and am going to ask her what she thinks it is.
I have asked my Lyme doc but he didn't know. He just said it is a symptom of Lyme also but I have long been treated for that.

I have it again today because I worked but not as bad as the day of my crash....if only there was something that would relieve it....

Thank you for this thread.

Although different from yours, I too have vibrations in my chest but, thankfully, only when it wakes me in the early morning and then only for a few minutes.

Mine is so fast that it is impossible to count the vibrations. Whether I have it or not seems to be linked to how bad I am feeling. I go months with it and and months without.

I wonder if anyone else has tried taking their pulse whilst having vibrations? When I touch my wrist very gently I feel them but if I use more pressure I feel my irregular pulse skipping around at about 50 bpm, as if under the vibrations.

I have had a seven day heart monitor test which picked up 'something' at the times I felt the vibrations but the consultant had no interest in it.

I have noticed a change in the vibrations over the last five years - If I use the metaphor of a drum for the tone of my vibrations, I would describe the drum skin as having got much slacker since they started.

soxfan

I wore a heart monitor too but it was totally normal. I have normal bp even when having the vibrations. My pulse is around 60. I get these mostly when I am in a crash or going into a crash. I also only have them after I have worked and am trying to rest before dinner. For me it seems to be linked to severe over exertion (mentally) or stress. I still have no idea why I suddenly crashed as I haven't had one in at least a year.

Asklipia

IMHO these vibrations are from behind the heart not from the heart itself.
The mystics call it "the second heart", the yogis call it "anahat", the one that does not beat, in opposition to the heart that pumps the blood.
This "second heart" moves the lymph, so it would be normal that no blood pressure/heart rate problems be associated with this.
Feelings in that area are sometimes a sign that lymph is being transferred from the lymphatic system to the blood system to be sent to the liver. This actually happens there, from the left side to the right side, hence the recommendation for yogis to get up from laying on the floor by rolling towards the right side, a way to facilitate the movement of the lymph collected by their exercises tpwards the liver.

Crashing after that could mean a sudden flow of lymph recently freed overwhelming the liver.

soxfan

The vibrations feel as though they are flowing downward from my chest to the abdomen. Like a vibrating rippling effect. It also feels like my insides are shaking if that makes sense but it is just in my torso not my arms or legs or any other part of my body.
After about a day of this I am left with extreme tiredness so much that I can hardly do anything at all....