• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inner vibrations....what are they really?

peggy-sue

The only time I've ever felt something similar to what is being described, was going through (severe) alcohol withdrawal.
(pre-ME).
I don't think a nice dose of vitC and milk thistle would do any harm at all - and might well do some good.

It's really, really horrible. Sorry to hear you're going through this.:cry:

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
I find this so interesting. Before I was diagnosed and before I had done any research or knew of this site, I kept complaining to my doctor and husband about my "internal tremors." That's how I described them without ever having read anything. I will never forget the surreal feeling when I found the Daily Strength forum and there were threads discussing "internal shakes." That's when I knew for sure I had this evil disease. The tremors for me are a very clear indicator that I need to rest immediately.

I think that the vibration causes - is nerve damage. I had a flaccid paralysis of the left side of the body during the early part of the Epstein-Barr virus. At the same time I had a vibration and tremor.

Gradually, I took medication for nerves, anti-inflammatory treatment for joints and massage. Now it is much better.

Ruthie24

@Olena- Interesting what you said. As I was reading this thread I realized that I used to get this sensation quite frequently but have rarely had it, and only very briefly, since I've been on anti virals. I was already on anti-inflammatory meds so maybe the combo has helped.

roxie60

The vibrating has returned but I feel it in arms, legs, feet, I dont think I feel the vibrations in my head. When I first gof really sick the vibrations startedin my head then moved from head to body. Bizarro life

Richard7

I get this too, my memory is pretty messed up, but the first time I can remember talking to a doctor about it was in 2013, when I was seeing the doctor about some flu like virus. I cannot remember the details exactly but at the end he explained that he was going to refer me to another GP, who was better aquainted with CFS, and I asked but what about shivering - I think that is what I called it. I felt like my whole torso was vibrating very quickly and I thought that this was a symptom that could not wait for the 6 weeks it would take to see the other doctor, and he placed his hand on my chest and explained that he could not feel it, or see it and that it was just a migraine symptom. I am a migrainer, and new odd sensations tend to get tossed into the migraine basket. Anyway I realised that though the sensation was very clear internaly I too could feel no vibration in my hand when I applied it to my chest or abdomen.

The sensation is often really strong, it seems to be worst when I am most fatigued, and I often find that all of my senses seem to be discontinuous when I am in this state. I have tinitus, bad visual disturbance etc. Its as if mt senses have gone from broadband to morse code. I can also feel it in my arms and shoulders, I have not noticed it in my legs or head.

Does this sound like what you are experiencing to you?

Richard7

In a way this is like my fevers. Today my temperature is about 36.5C or thereabouts, it think it topped out at 36.71C (oral) I feel feverish and have for three days now, outside it was 15.3C last night and I needed two blankets, woollen socks and a jersey. Today I have been wearing thick woollen socks, jeans, a tshirt and a flannelett shirt, the day got to 24.5C - tshirt weather. So I feel that strange sort of cold and feverish thing we call flu, but am not warm enough to have a fever. Or what most would call a fever, I have no doubt my immune system is hard at work.

I get this, for me it all started when i was taking 1000mg vitamin C (not sure if it was the course), for me it comes and goes only really at night time. its like a vibration or shaking in the chest area, i also note that i get like a flashing in the eyes also, on off on off shuttering. i cant sleep when i have it so to make it go away i get up and have a smoke and go back to sleep, if it dont i cant sleep because it gets worse. i also noted once it acutely affected my arms but i was so tired i cant be sure.

try taking the usual dose of Magnesium and chlorella (1 gram per 30 minutes before a meal) = every day. Chlorella need to drink for a long time:)

I get these sensations a lot and it seems to me to occur (in my case at least) when the muscles are fatigued and trying to relax but can't so shake. There may also be an element of adrenal hormones kicking in to try and keep the body going.

I find that massaging the affected muscle often helps but it may be that what I experience is not the same as what others describe. A mix of valerian and viburnum opulus (cramp bark) tinctures has been helpful too.

Andy

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I get these sensations a lot and it seems to me to occur (in my case at least) when the muscles are fatigued and trying to relax but can't so shake. There may also be an element of adrenal hormones kicking in to try and keep the body going.

I find that massaging the affected muscle often helps but it may be that what I experience is not the same as what others describe. A mix of valerian and viburnum opulus (cramp bark) tinctures has been helpful too.

Andy

Feelings of vibration in the body and/or limbs can be due to electrolyte deficiency, which causes the nerves and muscles to become hyperexcitable.

I had it very bad when I had severe hyponatraemia (low blood sodium) which many of us are prone to. All my muscles - external and internal - were in spasm. It included the urinary and anal sphincters, the heart, the respiratory muscles and the limbs. This page lists some symptoms and other info about electrolyte imbalance. Although it's on a website about cancer, most of it is relevant to non-cancer sufferers.

I still have bouts where it feels as though my muscles are buzzing, especially in my legs. It's very unsettling and makes it impossible to rest properly. Twitching is common too.

Last edited:

out2lunch

Feelings of vibration in the body and/or limbs can be due to electrolyte deficiency, which causes the nerves and muscles to become hyperexcitable.

I had it very bad when I had severe hyponatraemia (low blood sodium) which many of us are prone to. All my muscles - external and internal - were in spasm. It included the urinary and rectal sphincters, the heart, the respiratory muscles and the limbs. This page lists some symptoms and other info about electrolyte imbalance. Although it's on a website about cancer, most of it is relevant to non-cancer sufferers.

I still have bouts where it feels as though my muscles are buzzing, especially in my legs. It's very unsettling and makes it impossible to rest properly. Twitching is common too.
Bingo. :thumbsup:

Electrolytes are infamously out of whack for many of us, and these are precisely the same symptoms I get when my potassium and magnesium levels tank. I'm quite prone to deficiencies in these two minerals, and I'm a total wreck when either one gets too low.

In addition to the internal tremor stuff, one thing I've also noticed about myself when my electrolytes dip is worsening constipation. And when my large bowel becomes overloaded, my vagus nerve takes a hit.

My heart rate increases, my chest hurts, I develop severe nausea, and my sciatic nerves get very painful from my lower back down to my knees. Until I can get the crap out, literally, nothing calms my system down. And the only thing that works is putting back the potassium and magnesium that's lacking.

Definitely heed MeSci's advice on this one. Check out your electrolytes and be ever so diligent about keeping them in balance. :cool:

out2lunch

Hi soxfan, I just happened upon this thread, and thought you might be interested in a similar thread here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/internal-tremors-anyone.5335/#post-115913 that discusses "Internal Tremor".
parvofighter… I went to the link you referenced in your post, and found another link in that post to a thread on MedHelp.

In the MedHelp thread, one of the posters mentioned also having these tremors, and that he/she had been diagnosed with mitochondrial myopathy. Wow. Another connection made to this disease.

Staci Stevens has mentioned that the only disease other than ME/CFS they've seen the same results for on the 2-day CPET is mitochondrial myopathy. Patients with cardiovascular disease or clinical depression didn't produce similar results; only MM came close to our results.

I know this is off-topic, but I now find myself asking this question again:

Are we all suffering from some kind of mitochondrial myopathy variant? Especially those of us who've been ill for decades and continue to slowly worsen, no matter how aggressively we tackle our disease?

Richard7

Hi Andy, MeSci and Out2lunch,

I am still not sure what is going on but have noticed that they seem to be related to potassium, sodium and perhaps metafolin and b12.

A month ago or thereabouts, I seriously increased my sodium and potassium intake, taking enough to bring my urine to neutral in the evening, but not enough to make it neutral in the morning.

Most of this was because I had a full body viral rash and having read that potassium was important for the immune system on the enterovirus foundation's site http://enterovirusfoundation.org/immuneboosters.shtml: reading the info at http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/potassium.

I found that 3-4 tsp potassium chloride was working well for me with about 2-3 tsp salt. Note that my immune system was probably pretty active: it was a really nasty rash, and my usual dietary potassium is high 6-11g.

Last week my doctor asked me to reduce the amout of potassium I was taking, because some pathology I had done about 30-60 minutes after taking a tsp of potasssium chloride showed me at 5.2 and 5.4 is apparently a bad place to visit.

so I decided to step back on potassium, salt and the metafolin that was probably also accelerating my need for potassium.

I had palpitations, and vibrations strong enough to wake me over the next couple of days. I tried some experiments trying to see if it was the potassium or the salt that was most effective at stilling the vibrations, but it seemed that the vibrations only stopped when I added the metafolin.

I susupect that the potassium is most important for palpitations; salt for POTS; magnesium for muscular spasms and perhaps the metafolin for the vibrations.

I have noticed that B12, which seems to relax me when I need it, might be important for vibrations too.

This B12 thing might fit in with Andy's observation about it striking when the mucles are tired. For me it tends to be afternoon/ evening when I am resting/ need to rest and early morning say 5am - 9am.

But it is hard to know, the ideal experimental conditions occure at moments (or for hours or days) when I am least able to consider these things carefully.

@soxfan know this is an old thread, but I also experience these weird internal vibrations since 4-6 weeks now. Like there's a bunch of cellphones inside my stomach... I think mine is related to my GI complaints, since it starts in my abdomen around the epigastric area, and is followed by splashing/rumbling sounds in my stomach. I feel my stomach is not emptying normally all day due to pain and discomfort, but when this happens I feel kind of relieved... feels like the food is passing finally when this happens.

Also the vibrations have evolved to other areas; I had it first only in my abdomen, but later went to my bladder and genital area and now I have it on my chest and the back of my head/neck, but it always starts in the abdomen and gets worse when lying down and worst when lying on left side.

Did you find a way to reduce the internal vibrations?

bertiedog

I have also recently experienced these nasty vibrations which would start low down near my pubic bone but on the right side but also goes down to my right thigh. That muscle goes rock hard and is uncomfortable. I suffer with sciatica on my right side and usually have fairly regularly physio treatment for this but obviously with what is going on at the moment no way am I going for a treatment.

It gets worse as the day goes on especially around the pubic bone area and the explanation that its like a cell phone vibration is an excellent one.

Its also a lot worse when I experience PEM. I am finding it extremely difficult at the moment to cut back on my gardening which I love. The weather has been great after such an awful wet winter and I feel better when I am outside and on top of this I am having to do so much more cooking plus there is still the dog to walk late afternoon. However no way could I do this yesterday as I needed complete rest.

I guess I will get the message that I am making myself worse but I am fed up with my body fooling me that what I am doing at the time is ok only to suffer horribly a few hours later. Yesterday I felt like I had a massive flu starting, aching all over, shooting pains in various muscles, legs like jelly and red, sore throat.. To accompany these symptoms a nasty migraine also appears and last over 24 hours so it obviously isn't worth it.

The penny has finally dropped that what I describe as a virus keeps coming back, is for me PEM and this would explain why its always identical which I could never understand. What I don't understand is why my throat goes red and very sore during an episode of PEM and its this that fools me into thinking its another virus coming along.

This time it only lasted a day and a half thankfully and perhaps this is due to the lovely sunshine.

Pam

I have also recently experienced these nasty vibrations which would start low down near my pubic bone but on the right side but also goes down to my right thigh. That muscle goes rock hard and is uncomfortable. I suffer with sciatica on my right side and usually have fairly regularly physio treatment for this but obviously with what is going on at the moment no way am I going for a treatment.

It gets worse as the day goes on especially around the pubic bone area and the explanation that its like a cell phone vibration is an excellent one.

Its also a lot worse when I experience PEM. I am finding it extremely difficult at the moment to cut back on my gardening which I love. The weather has been great after such an awful wet winter and I feel better when I am outside and on top of this I am having to do so much more cooking plus there is still the dog to walk late afternoon. However no way could I do this yesterday as I needed complete rest.

I guess I will get the message that I am making myself worse but I am fed up with my body fooling me that what I am doing at the time is ok only to suffer horribly a few hours later. Yesterday I felt like I had a massive flu starting, aching all over, shooting pains in various muscles, legs like jelly and red, sore throat.. To accompany these symptoms a nasty migraine also appears and last over 24 hours so it obviously isn't worth it.

The penny has finally dropped that what I describe as a virus keeps coming back, is for me PEM and this would explain why its always identical which I could never understand. What I don't understand is why my throat goes red and very sore during an episode of PEM and its this that fools me into thinking its another virus coming along.

This time it only lasted a day and a half thankfully and perhaps this is due to the lovely sunshine.

Pam
I tried to figure out the cause via dr Google but couldn't find anything useful, but now you mentioned that yours is worse during PEM, I'm suspecting low magnesium levels or electrolyte balance as a plausible cause. This is because my urine is transparent without drinking too much water (i.e., >1 liter per day). Maybe high dosis magnesium could help to alleviate the vibrations?

bertiedog

I tried to figure out the cause via dr Google but couldn't find anything useful, but now you mentioned that yours is worse during PEM, I'm suspecting low magnesium levels or electrolyte balance as a plausible cause. This is because my urine is transparent without drinking too much water (i.e., >1 liter per day). Maybe high dosis magnesium could help to alleviate the vibrations?

Yes I was thinking that too but I take around 500 mg = 600 mg magnesium citrate a day with food and without calcium so I would have thought that should have been sufficient. Perhaps I should try and get hold of magnesium injections to see if that would help[.

It feels like a dead nerve that is trying to come back to life!

Pam