• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intense brain inflammation - is it histamine or sulphur intolerance?

Hi,
New here. Thank you for the great discussion. I just realized that I'm histamine intolerant a few months ago and have been eating low-histamine foods. However, I react to even to most of the low foods, so I'm very limited right now. I wanted to comment on the kale. I've been very hesitant to eat kale also because I have migraines and I've heard that kale is high in oxalates which cause migraines. Maybe other brassica vegetables, too??? Not sure about this, but I did hear about kale (and the thyroid connection as well). I read that if you do want to eat kale and you are sensitive to these issues, that you should boil it for 30 minutes to leach the oxalates out into the cooking water. Discard the water; it has the oxalates in it. Unfortunately, after 30 minutes of boiling, it doesn't have much flavor (or probably vitamins). And, it doesn't help for juicing since people like to juice raw kale. But, the reason I find this very interesting, is because since I'm on such a limited diet, sometimes I fry kale in a little olive oil. It gives it a great crunch. But, it doesn't remove the oxalates. I actually did this last night for dinner, and this morning I woke up with a very weird migraine, like oxalates or inflammation or whatever was swirling in my head. I had a hard time thinking and face even went kind of numb. So, thank you for reminding me about kale. I can't say for sure that it was the kale, but I seem to be reacting to everything in very weird ways. Some of us are very sensitive to many things. I was thinking about having the kale again tonight, but I don't think I'll be doing that now. I've enjoyed this discussion. Thanks! Truly, Elisabeth P.S. I just started to see an Integrative MD who is testing me for leaky gut, candida, possibly ME and more of the illnesses that "regular" doctors don't think of. I'll get the results next time I see her. I've been very ill for three years and after seeing a dozen doctors with no diagnosis I'm hoping that I'm finally on the right path.