• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intense nausea, what do you do?

PeterPositive

Try Nux Vomica 5C, 3 globules under the tongue every 20 minutes, until symptoms recede.
It's been my major helper with nausea for years.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Have you tried sedating antihistamines like diphenhydramine or chlorphenamine? They might not stop nausea completely but might reduce it. I've found them helpful.

Motion sickness pills might help. Lemon balm tea can take the edge off nausea.

NK17

Ginger here too and sometimes cola syrup which is very hard to find.
Bubbly water and lemon wedges sometime help when the nausea is not too great.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Prescription promethazine tablets (brand name Phenergan) help with nausea. This is also available as a suppository for when you can't keep anything down by mouth.

Drinking warm flat coca-cola helps when you are nauseated AND have the food shakes (low blood sugar).

I nibble on crystallized ginger too.

taniaaust1

Firstly try to work out the whys you are getting nausea eg it could be food related eg I used to get nausea if I'd drank milk, OI related etc.. then try to cut back on the triggering things (that's what I do).

Ginger in my own cause doesnt help any nausea I get at all. (Ive had very little luck with getting herbal med to help my ME symptoms)

I take a prescription anti-nausea drug at times Metoclopramide (that's sometimes given to chemo patients to stop sickness, nausea). It actually makes me feel illner when I first take it (maybe due to the MCS???) but then a short ime later my nausea completely goes away.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Firstly try to work out the whys you are getting nausea eg it could be food related eg I used to get nausea if I'd drank milk, OI related etc.. then try to cut back on the triggering things (that's what I do).

Ginger in my own cause doesnt help any nausea I get at all. (Ive had very little luck with getting herbal med to help my ME symptoms)

I take a prescription anti-nausea drug at times Metoclopramide (that's sometimes given to chemo patients to stop sickness, nausea). It actually makes me feel illner when I first take it (maybe due to the MCS???) but then a short ime later my nausea completely goes away.
I wish I knew what causes it! How do you even begin to try to figure where it's coming from? How would you know if it's the OI?

MeSci

Prescription promethazine tablets (brand name Phenergan) help with nausea. This is also available as a suppository for when you can't keep anything down by mouth.

Promethazine is extremely sedating for me, so be careful. I was prescribed 25 mg for sinus problems and it knocked me out for about 12 hours, and for the next 12 hours I was struggling to maintain consciousness.

You can buy it online, and in the UK you can also get some dosages in pharmacies, and there are a few different brand names, as stated here.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Promethazine is extremely sedating for me, so be careful. I was prescribed 25 mg for sinus problems and it knocked me out for about 12 hours, and for the next 12 hours I was struggling to maintain consciousness.

You can buy it online, and in the UK you can also get some dosages in pharmacies, and there are a few different brand names, as stated here.

My prescription bottle for promethazine says to take one-half to one 25mg tablet every 12 hours. I've never taken 25mg at one time; I've always taken one-half of a 25mg tablet as my dose. The side effects, such as drowsiness, are dose-related, much like most antihistamines.

SDSue

Southeast
I use the over-the-counter motion sickness tablets called "Bonine". The active ingredient is meclizine, which in larger doses is given as prescription to vertigo patients.

It does cause some drowsiness, but I find it's less than I get with Dramamine.

I also use Promethazine or Zofran when the nausea turns to vomiting.

MeSci

My prescription bottle for promethazine says to take one-half to one 25mg tablet every 12 hours. I've never taken 25mg at one time; I've always taken one-half of a 25mg tablet as my dose. The side effects, such as drowsiness, are dose-related, much like most antihistamines.

Yes, I cut my tablets in 'half' now but find it difficult to get the 'halves' equal, so usually end up with one 'half' bigger than the other! But about half a tablet is still pretty sedating for me, so I only take it for sleep.

Nux Vomica has also worked for me.
If you can take supplements, I've also found that if I take high doses of Vitamin B6 it helps a lot!
I actually take the B6 everyday because nausea has been such an ongoing issue for me too.
I've also found that I'm far less nauseous after stopping all wheat products- I had to go Gluten Free.
I never had issues with Gluten and I don't have celiac but at some point my digestion completely shifted
and I could not longer eat bread or anything made with wheat. It became a major issue for me.
Having gastric paresis doesn't help either and I know many of us with ME/CFS have to contend with that.
I've had to manage what I eat in terms of how often and how much.
There are some days I only eat yogurt, tea and a smoothie and that's about all my stomach can take.
I'd say about every week I have a day like this....very light simple food and no coffee.

Last edited:
Can people clarify - are the references to Nux vomica about homeopathic products? I ask because Nux vomica itself is highly toxic. Don't want any confusion arising!

Yes, Nux Vomica is a homeopathic remedy.
If you dont have a store near you that sells homeopathics, you
can order online.