• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Ireland) 3 talks on ME by Dr Charles Shepherd in May (ME Awareness Month)

Tom Kindlon

The Irish ME/CFS Association has arranged three talks by Dr. Charles Shepherd for May, ME Awareness Month.

Dr Shepherd will be at meetings in the following venues:

o Friday, May 9: Limerick Strand Hotel, Ennis Road, Limerick City. 12pm (noon).

o Saturday, May 10: Connacht Hotel (formerly Carlton Hotel), Renmore, Galway City. 2pm.

o Sunday, May 11: Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, Old Airport Road, Cloghran (Santry), Dublin Airport, Co. Dublin. 3 pm.

Admission is E5, on the door, to help towards the costs of organising these three meetings, and Dr. Shepherd's trip.

The talks are entitled, 'ME/CFS - where are we now with research, diagnosis and management?' Dr. Shepherd will be fresh from the major conference in the field, held this year in San Francisco, and will share information from that. Following each talk, there will be a questions-and-answers session.

For more information, contact: Irish ME/CFS Association, PO Box 3075, Dublin 2. Tel: (Dublin) 2350965. Email: info@irishmecfs.org Website:

www.irishmecfs.org

Here is a profile of Dr Shepherd:

Honorary Medical Adviser, (UK) ME Association

Charles Shepherd is a physician with a longstanding personal interest in ME/CFS - having developed the condition following an episode of chickenpox that he caught from one of his hospital patients.

He has been involved with all aspects of the illness - benefits, management, politics, research, services - for over 30 years.

He was a member of the (UK) Chief Medical Officer's Working Group on ME/CFS and the (UK) Medical Research Council's Expert Group on ME/CFS research.

He is currently a member of the UK Department of Work and Pensions Fluctuating Conditions Group - who are trying to make DWP benefit assessments more fair and effective for people with ME/CFS, MS, etc.

His research involvement includes supervising all the research that is currently being funded by the UK ME Association's Ramsay Research Fund

- in particular the setting up of an ME Biobank for blood samples at the Royal Free Hospital in London - and is an Executive Board member of the UK ME/CFS Research Collaborative. Research interests include the role of vaccines as trigger factors for ME/CFS. post-mortem tissue studies and muscle/mitochondrial abnormalities in ME/CFS

He is also involved with parliamentary work - including forming part of Secretariat for the All Party Parliamentary Group on ME at Westminster.

His views are frequently sought by the press, radio and television.

He has written a self-help guide for people with ME/CFS ('Living with ME' - Vermilion) and guidelines for health professionals ('ME/CFS/PVFS: An Exploration of the Key Clinical Issues' - MEA) along with numerous contributions to medical publications.

Charles is married with three children and lives in Gloucestershire, England.