• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is CDC Out to Bury PEM?

Bob

Are we sure Fukuda is capturing people with PEM to 80%+? Isn't that figure from the multi-site study where there population consists of the patients of seven of the most experienced ME/CFS clinicians in the States (most of whom are likely to use narrow criteria)?
I think you're probably right that this applies to patients in the multi-site study who meet the Fukuda criteria.

Great post, Anne.

Anne

More on the CDC multisite studies and Dr Unger's view on PEM:
http://simmaronresearch.com/2014/11...s-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-multisite-studies/

As Cort says (in the comment section):
"Most discouraging to me was Dr. Unger’s statement that the test will help determine aerobic capacity in ME/CFS. At best the one-day test will find a few patients who very disrupted aerobic capacity. At worst, if it’s not presented right, the results will suggest aerobic capacity is normal in most people with ME/CFS. Better to use the aerobic capacity test as a stressor and not provide the results of that test – and leave the measurement of aerobic capacity to the people doing the two-day test."