• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is DAO +/+ the same as histamine intolerance?

musicchick581

Hi all. I have DAO +/+ and a DAO -/-. Is this the same as histamine intolerance?
Does this have anything to do with methylation?

Adster

My understanding is that the DAO genes are responsible for Diamine Oxidase, which is one way the body breaks down histamine. So if you have mutations in these genes that reduce your ability to make Diamine Oxidase then you could potentially end up with excess histamine. Whether that puts extra load on or disrupts the methylation cycle, I'm not sure sorry.

caledonia

I'm not as well versed with histamine and DAO, but your symptoms sound like classic gut issues to me. My suggestion would be to do some stool testing and then the 4R Gut Rebuilding program if indicated. See the link in my signature for more info.

If you're still having problems after that, then addressing histamine via DAO supps or diet may be indicated.

musicchick581

@caledonia I read the 4R gut rebuilding program on the last thread where you recommended it. It sounds great but I can't take a lot of what is on there. I'm finally off Nexium. I'm using aloe and have been for months now as well as a low acid diet and alkaline water. I was allergy tested twice and came back negative. I have multiple low food sensitivities and brewers yeast is off the charts high. It's the only high one. I get congested throughout the year and with the windows open in the spring, I get runny nose symptoms, etc. so perhaps I'm allergic to something not tested or perhaps I'm just sensitive to seasonal allergies and not actually allergic. Who knows. But I'm so confused whether the DAO has to do with the newly researched histamine intolerance in food and stuff.

I had two stool tests over the summer and all negative, as well as a few hpylori tests.

@shah78, I found them through 23 and me and input the data into MTHFRSupport where they had loads of pages of a variant report.

caledonia

@caledonia I read the 4R gut rebuilding program on the last thread where you recommended it. It sounds great but I can't take a lot of what is on there. I'm finally off Nexium. I'm using aloe and have been for months now as well as a low acid diet and alkaline water. I was allergy tested twice and came back negative. I have multiple low food sensitivities and brewers yeast is off the charts high. It's the only high one. I get congested throughout the year and with the windows open in the spring, I get runny nose symptoms, etc. so perhaps I'm allergic to something not tested or perhaps I'm just sensitive to seasonal allergies and not actually allergic. Who knows. But I'm so confused whether the DAO has to do with the newly researched histamine intolerance in food and stuff.

I had two stool tests over the summer and all negative, as well as a few hpylori tests.

@shah78, I found them through 23 and me and input the data into MTHFRSupport where they had loads of pages of a variant report.

It sounds like you've ruled out gut issues then. The MTHFRsupport.com forum might be a good place to ask about DAO.