• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it okay to take methyl B12 and activated charcoal together?

Is it okay to take methyl B12 and then a couple hours later take activated charcoal to soak up some toxins? Or, would the activated charcoal render the B12 useless?

Thanks!

Martial

At least four to six hours between the two would prevent that, from what I recall reading before anyways. twelve hours is probably most ideal.

taniaaust1

I agree with what Marial said. Charcol absorbs everything so really shouldnt be taken with the things your body wants to keep. I cant remember now where B12 is absorb from in the body (stomach? intestine) .. anyway, if you charcol sitting there still (and charcol can move throu the body slower then most things).. the B may not get absorbed.

edit..sorry I just read your post again. B12 at least a couple of hours BEFORE charcol probably would be fine and maybe the charcol will do what you want there with using the two things.

garyfritz

How are you taking your B12? Hopefully not internally, since it's not digested well. And if you are taking it sublingually or through some other external path, I don't believe activated charcoal will touch it.

sregan

How are you taking your B12? Hopefully not internally, since it's not digested well. And if you are taking it sublingually or through some other external path, I don't believe activated charcoal will touch it.

I agree with this. I believe also that charcoal stays in the gut and not absorbed into the blood. That's why it is such a good binder and cleanser. So it really shouldn't bother your MB12 intake.. Taking B12 orally doesn't get you much if anything so nothing from nothing gives nothing.

Now I've found that B3 and T4 are produced in the gut and Charcoal will suck those up which may leave you thyroid deficient. So supplementing B3 and N-Acetyl Tyrosine (T4 precursor) can help replace what the charcoal might take that you don't want it to.