• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

itchy and irrrritable..??

alice111

i seem to get this recurring "flare" of something where I get very itchy all over (no rash or anything, just a sensation), and I feel extremely irritable and agitated... :(

does anyone else get this? or know what causes this? or have an antidote?

My only theories so far are candida maybe or yeast? Or something hormone related as it gets worse with PMS.

any ideas appreciated! THANKS :)

drob31

It sounds like high histamines. Yes, I have had this happen before. Caffiene seems to cause it, but also the day after I take an antihistamine and my histamines "rebound."

I wonder if a non-drowsy antihistamine like allegra or zyrtec would help. There is also an enzyme called DAO that can be taken with food to reduce the histamine load. This all goes back to Mast cells, however.

Raines

Seize. Eggs. I don't know. Zebra. Eighties.
i seem to get this recurring "flare" of something where I get very itchy all over (no rash or anything, just a sensation), and I feel extremely irritable and agitated... :(

does anyone else get this? or know what causes this? or have an antidote?

I get this, or something similar. It tends to happen to me when I'm stressed and/or overwhelmed, I think (for me at least) its an emotional reaction.
I also have eczema so this may play a role.
As for advice - when I get like this I sit on my hands, quietly scream at the unbearable frustration of it, and wait for it to pass, not great advice but its all I've got.