• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jeannette Burmeister acquired foia document re. P2P

alex3619

Indeed. It's very difficult to know the motives of individuals, so it's rather dangerous territory to assume to know them, esp when discussing complex areas of advocacy for which there is little agreement about the best course of action.
I think this also applies to many psychiatrists. They believe what they are taught. I recall reading the book by Paula Caplan who was a consulting psychologist I think. The DSM (-III I think) asked her to help refine one of the definitions. She was absolutely shocked once she got into it to see bad or distorted science, opinion over science, and no accountability or proper testing. She eventually resigned or something, or was fired. She started a believer, then became a vocal critic. We cannot know the motives of even psychiatrists or psychologists.

What we can talk about is outcomes and justification. There is no good science for most of it. The outcomes of CBT/GET for ME are either pathetic or bad. These are an issue regardless of the actual view of the psych.

That last comment also applies to advocacy.