• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Joint pain without redness or swelling

Martial

Doesnt also Lyme join pain differ from ME/CFS that it is swollen and red??

It differs in each case. Inflammation happens especially in the knees but not always, A lot of the time people get burning or painful joints without any associated redness or pain. I myself have a bakers cyst on the back of my knee and minor pains in all my joints without noticeable swelling or redness. Sometimes when people get on antibiotics or kill off a lot of bacteria quickly their joints also become more inflammed temporarily as a herximeir reaction as well.

Last edited:

valentinelynx

Sometimes when people get on antibiotics or kill off a lot of bacteria quickly their joints also become more inflammed temporarily as a herximeir reaction as well.

Old post, but... when I started on doxycycline 2+ years ago, my typically stiff burning hands turned into: fingers felt like joints were full of glass! Visibly swollen knuckles, hurt to pick up anything or brush anything past the knuckles. Over a few months the pain subsided to a lower level than before starting antibiotics and the chronic stiffness improved dramatically. Now, if only I could get the rest of my symptoms to respond to antibiotics!

acer2000

So I haven't really had pain much with ME/CFS. My joints seem to crack more than they did before I first got sick. However, about a week ago I got sudden onset joint pain. Started in my foot, then my hands, and now its all of my joints. I have burning too. My bloodwork is unchanged, no elevated sed rate, CRP or RF. No swell, just pain with joint use. Not sure what to make of it. Has anyone figured out what causes this? What helps?

Martial

So I haven't really had pain much with ME/CFS. My joints seem to crack more than they did before I first got sick. However, about a week ago I got sudden onset joint pain. Started in my foot, then my hands, and now its all of my joints. I have burning too. My bloodwork is unchanged, no elevated sed rate, CRP or RF. No swell, just pain with joint use. Not sure what to make of it. Has anyone figured out what causes this? What helps?

depends on the cause I would say. It is good to know the bloodwork is clean though. If it is pathogenic in nature than there are quite a few herbs which will help bring inflammation down/treat underlying pathogens. Japanese Knotweed, Chinese Skull Cap, Cat's Claw, and Teasal which is one of the best for the joints. Also in the case it is an issue of collogen break down, then bone broth, collogen based amino acids, and Biosil all work well to help boost production of collogen and tissue repair.

Misfit Toy

I've had joint pain for years....but I wouldn't necessarily put it off as CFS. I was told it was CFS and turns out it's Sjogrens and I may have EDS. Plaquenil helps.

People with severe pain need to cover all bases and see a rheumatologist. You never know....