• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

KDM - Fructose and Lactose Test

I am seeing KDM for the first time next week. I am having the fructose and lactose breath tests. The guidance says:

'Avoid food with a lot of fibres (brown bread, bran, pasta, chocolate, spicy sauces, muesli, fruit and vegetables)'

This list seems a bit random - can't quite understand why spicy sauces are high in fibre.

Does this mean just stick to white bread/pasta, potatoes? Would porridge be OK? Should all fruit and veg be avoided?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't know the tests but it sounds like he wants you to eat low residue foods like you would before a colonscopy. So that is chicken, potatoes, eggs.. You can google it to find out.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Hi @yabeeb

I had fructose and lactose breath testing done recently in Australia. I don't have the instruction sheet anymore, but if you have a look at www.gastrolab.com.au you should be able to find a sample meal plan for the day before the testing with suitable food options recommended.

Think I had rice puffs and rice milk, chicken and rice and some veg that day.

Best wishes for your appointment with KDM.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, I thought I had posted yesterday? but my post is not here. Just to say when I went to Himmunitas I didn't arrive at the hotel until 7pm and you cant eat after 8pm so I just ate whatever they had on hand that I could eat due to other diet restrictions. The fasting and having testing done after travelling I found quite gruelling so I am afraid I didn't take the dietry advice too seriously. The second night I was so ill with PEM etc that I just had a bowl of soup and some bread in my room - again all I could face getting down me before the second fast. The first day I actually ate mashed potato with salmon and a few vegetables - the second night mushroom soup and white bread - so probably not too bad anyway!

Good luck with your visit.