• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Keeping out the sunlight.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
OMG its been driving me mad over the past few weeks, waking me up - that intense beam that shines through the gaps etc. I have blackout blinds (old and wavy) blackout curtains and curtains on top of those, but its at the top and side the sunlight shines through. I've given up trying to sleep the last couple of mornings and got up far too early, as a consequence I'm so much more weary than normal.

My hubby's been sleeping in the spare room for a while as I was keeping him awake getting up and down all night, so he wasn't really aware of how bad the problem was affecting me. I just mentioned it this morning and he sprang into action, he's been tooing and froing from the garage to upstairs all day, he's so clever with working out anything practical, got an engineers brain, so he's put up a wooden sides each side of the window which the blinds fit behind so the bits of light don't come through, he just has the other window to do and I think we may have a winning solution. He's got jobs piling up and also suffering with a muscle strain in his back, but he's made this his priority today.

We don't give our carers enough credit sometimes do we? Or I at least I don't.

Ema

I tie a black scarf around my head. It stays put and blocks out the light better than a mask.

And if I happen to have a migraine, I can also slip an ice pack in there too!

Let us know how the renovations go! I hope you start sleeping better...

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Beyond
they look like very expensive roller shutters?
My windows are 7ft across x 2 plus a small one of 4ft. It would cost a fortune, I did price up some wooden shutters but would need to take a mortgage out:)

Oh I hope I sleep better, I'll report back and maybe we could patent it if its successful......

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have wood blinds on my windows (not shutters) and they do not block out the light. It always comes in some where. Sometimes the easier solution is the best, especially if cost is an issue.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Two eye masks, of different types, worn at once seems to do the job for me.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Sushi @Ema
glad the masks work for you both, ideal solution if so.

I can't stand anything touching my face, If I could just lay them on lightly then I maybe could tolerate them but you have to have the band around so I'm just too sensitive for that.

In my bedroom I have this: http://www.kinderwebwinkel.nl/veiligheid/veilig-slapen/dadadark-miyali-sheet

which is something like black out sheets you can stick to your window. They cover the entire window, so no gaps at the sides or top.

Then I have Venetian blinds over that and thick curtains over those. It makes my room pitch black at night even though I have an annoying light right outside the window. During the day it is dark enough for me to get headache relief.

I can't tolerate anything on my face, so I can't use eye masks.

I was so glad I found the black out sheets a couple of years ago, because that horrible, useless light outside the window made me homicidal. As well as wanting to destroy the light.

I hope your solution works, @maryb

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
You know @greebo gave me an idea to get car window tint. You can buy rolls of it, maybe limo tint is what you want. If it's the kind that adheres with water that would be pretty easy for someone to do.