• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Large pupils

DeGenesis

Well.. I read the 2012 thread about autoimmunity and large pupils and found it interesting.

I suffer from the saucer pupil problem, which triggers migraines and causes eye strain.

I'm always looking for new solutions. Sunglasses in front of the computer don't help, because the eye just dilates further to compensate. I have found 2 things that help.

1) Alphagan P: This is an eyedrop that is like clonidine for the eyes. Huge reduction in pupil size in low light environment. Reduces glare while driving at night. Commonly used post-Lasik when people have the huge pupils (Lasik causes large pupils and dry eyes, among other things, by severing small-fiber nerves, thus partially denervating the eye. I suppose autoimmunity could do the same thing.). Can worsen fatigue. There is a special way to instill the drops so that they don't enter systemic absorption.

2) Bright full spectrum lights in front of the monitor facing my eyes. Since my eyes still respond to bright light, this helps them to constrict and reduce eye strain from the monitor. Light from the monitor, even with f.lux, seems much more likely to trigger a migraine so I try and minimize the light my eyes receive from the monitor and maximize it from other sources.

manna

do you use an "LED LCD" monitor, or the usual fluorescent lit LCD? I'm told the LED ones are easier on the eyes. I have the normal LCD one but have it very dim but would prefer to have an led lcd monitor. I only use incandescent daylight bulbs, all others give me head strain in some degree. I used to do some good eye exercises. After a few weeks the difference was quite noticeable.

DeGenesis

LED-backlit LCD is much worse for me. I "downgraded" to an old Dell CCFL-backlit LCD because the LED LCD made me motion sick. Most LED-backlit LCD's use a technique called PWM to dim the screen, but it causes eye-strain. There are some PWM-free monitors but I didn't find these helpful either. There is a years-long discussion here on different display technologies and eyestrain/migraines/motion-sickness.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1677617?start=0&tstart=0

Over 2000 posts. It's not unique to Apple's displays, I'm afraid.

There is a site called TFT-central that reviews monitors and assesses whether or not they use eye-strain causing technology such as PWM and dithering.

manna

Generally LED is what "low emf" sites recommend and a friend on another forum found them to be easier but I've not troed them myself. hmmm just had a quick look on that thread, onl;y a couple of pages lol, bit long. seems to be an issue with them. thanks for the link. I shall think twice now. I wonder why the confusion,,,I wonder if that folk assume that unlike CFL lcd, led will not flicker, but it seems not so. There was even an article on how to convert the sreens, lcd to led, a few years ago, on a low emf site. The plot thickens..

DeGenesis

I don't know about how much EMF monitors produce, but there is a problem with LED lighting, specifically recessed lighting and lighting with a dimmer. The problem causes disruption with terrestrial radio, fuzzy picture on the TV, and sometimes noise in the speakers. The dimming circuitry seems to produce the EMF, so maybe a not dimming LED might be a safer bet if you are sensitive to EMF. Like I said I don't know much about this topic since I never really considered EMF to be a problem for me.

Yeah people are always looking for the best display technology. LED-backlit LCD was supposed to cure eyestrain, and it made it worse. Then AMOLED was supposed to be the savior. Issues there as well. Eye-strain, over-saturated and inaccurate colors, having to use PenTile to achieve high resolution. White LED instead of RGB LED. Some professionals, especially those who require colour accuracy, are still holding on to there tube monitors.

Plasma turned out to be the best of the next-gen. First Pioneer made the best sets, but because of public opinion that LCD was better, they sold their technology to Panasonic. For a few years they made the best sets, but just as of a few months ago they stopped making plasma, due to public perception that "LED" TVs were the best. It's doubtful at this point that Samsung and LG will keep making plasma sets. They are crap compared to the Panasonic's.