• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lipkin XMRV study to be released June 30th

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
We have quite a few studies coming down over the next year I'm geussing. It will be interesting to see how much each one may or may not contribute towards treatments that can objectively tested to see if it is working, plus results in tangible feelings of improvement.

Don't we actually have 3 studies that are looking at "spinal fluid" primarliy (Natelson and Bariniuk) and in part (Lipkin)?

I thought Bariniuk's study was almost done 6 months ago, so it should be getting close to publishing!?

I can't quite figure out what Montoya is doing on his study as the time frame went way beyond what most of the study participants was told. Then just recently started recruiting 150 more participants in the same study, which I can imagine is causing some anxiety among some of the original participants. I almost wish that he would recheck some of the original participants, which some were well over a year ago, that have had pretty substantial changes in their conditions to see how their samples compare. Might be good opportunity to see how some pathogens or several pathogens are changing over time. Could possibly show some obvious trends.

What was the exact scope of the $1 million study that the Lights are embarking on?

Probably should have asked this first. Has anyone compiled a list of the upcoming, ongoing and soon to be published studies that are actually going on?

Esther12

phew - after I'm due a benefits judgement. It would have been a bit shit to start that day with 'New study proves CFS patients are just lazy or nuts' headlines.

Although at this point, I'm not sure if it will even make the news. If it does, from what little I've read from him Lipkin seems like a decent guy, so hopefully there will be some attempt to encourage fair coverage.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Yes, I did find out about mBio after I posted - it's the online open-access journal of the American Society for Microbiology, which is an excellent pedigree.

'New study proves CFS patients are just lazy or nuts' headlines.

Yeah, not that I'm cynical or anything, but if the upshot of the paper is just "XMRV not found," the media is sure to report it in that sort of chuckling, gloating way that indicates they think they've got a good juicy debunking on their hands.

I'm at least hanging some slim hopes that Lipkin's press release will be written in a decent fashion, since press coverage, if any, will be about 80% copy-pasting of the press release.

Bob

These are all the details posted by CII on Twitter:

CII:
#XMRV/#CFS/#ME study is complete. Was accepted for publication last week. Is due for release on Sept. 18.
https://twitter.com/CII722/status/238709084159881218

Other Twitter user (@newprof1):
@cggbamford @CII722 lipkin's study?
https://twitter.com/newprof1/status/238718500095549440

CII:
@newprof1 @cggbamford We prefer the "Alter/Mikovits/Switzer/Lipkin" study , but yes.
https://twitter.com/CII722/status/238720175006965760

CII:
@SJ_Johnny @newprof1 @cggbamford The study will be published online in mBio, which is an open access journal. #FreeForAll #XMRV #CFS #ME
https://twitter.com/CII722/status/239122146905948160

August59

Just so I'm straight on these studies. The one being made public on September 18th is the XMRV study. The CFI study will be continuing for quite so time and I'm geussing into late next year?

What is the timeline on the $1 million funded study by the Lights. Have they even annouced the scope of that study?

Dr. Bariniuk in conjuction with a few other researchers are suppose to finishing up another study on CSF

Dr. Natelson is also doing another CSF study as well I think?

Doesn't Dr. Klimas have a study in the works, if so, what is it about?

I can't quite figure out what is going on with Dr. Montoya's Pathogen Study, which was suppose to be finished awhile back, but in the last few weeks has decided to increase the participant number from 450 to 600 for some reason. Participants were told that this is a very slow and tidious process for this study. This one will probably not happen till 2014.

I know this is not all, but it's all my mind can bring up today

VillageLife

I have posted a new thread for this but posting here as well.

From ME/CFS forums.....

The press conference will be held on Sept. 18th from approximately 11:00am to noon. It will be streamed our website (cii.columbia.edu), and you can expect an announcement on our website/Twitter (@CII722) with links to the specific pages on Friday/Monday.

VillageLife

http://cii.columbia.edu/blog.htm?LOfRcb

CII Press Conference

September 18th, 2012

10:30 AM (EDT)

“Multicenter Study on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis”

The causes of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) have long eluded scientists. In 2009/2010, two high-profile papers linked the syndrome to infection with a mouse retrovirus called XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus (MLV)-related virus) and murine retrovirus-like sequences (designated pMLV: polytropic MLV). Given that affected patients often have symptoms consistent with a chronic infection, this viral connection was deemed plausible, and the findings were celebrated as a major achievement for a complex disease that afflicts nearly 1 million in the U.S.

However, follow-up investigations by several laboratories were unable to detect XMRV or pMLV in CFS patients.

To definitively resolve this issue, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases commissioned a large-scale, multicenter study under the auspices of the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration, the NIH’s National Cancer Institute and Warren G. Magnuson Clinical Center, and others (see full list below).

Investigators from the multicenter study on CFS/ME and XMRV/pMLV will discuss their findings and future directions.

A live video will be posted below.

For attendance at the event, members of the media should RSVP by 9:00AM on Monday, Sept. 17th to Nsikan Akpan (212-342-9051 | nea2107@columbia.edu) or Stephanie Berger, Mailman School of Public Health (212-305-4372 |sb2247@columbia.edu).

When: Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Press Conference begins at 10:30 AM (EDT)

Who: W. Ian Lipkin, MD (Moderator)

Center for Infection and Immunity (CII), Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University

Principal Investigator and Director of Center for Infection and Immunity

John Snow Professor of Epidemiology

Professor of Neurology and Pathology

Harvey Alter, MD

National Institutes of Health, Department of Transfusion Medicine

Distinguished NIH Investigator

Chief, Clinical Studies

Associate Director of Research

Mady Hornig, MD

Center for Infection and Immunity, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University

Director of Translational Research at CII

Associate Professor of Epidemiology

Judy Mikovits, PhD

Mikovits Consulting

Francis Ruscetti, PhD

National Cancer Institute, Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research

Head, Leukocyte Biology Section

Senior Investigator

Collaborating Research Groups:

• Department of Transfusion Medicine, Warren G. Magnuson Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD.
  • Mikovits Consulting, Oxnard, CA.
  • Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA.
  • Cancer and Inflammation Program, Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, Frederick, MD.
  • Tissue Safety Laboratory, Office of Cellular, Tissue and Gene Therapies, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD.
  • Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale FL.
  • Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, FL.
  • Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA.
  • Infectious Disease Clinic, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA.
  • Fatigue Consultation Clinic, Salt Lake City, UT.
  • Levine Clinic, New York, NY.
  • Simmaron Research Institute, Incline Village, NV.
  • Department of Biostatistics, Columbia University, New York, NY.
  • Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
  • Center for Infection and Immunity, Columbia University, New York, NY.
  • Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Tufts University, Boston, MA.

August59

I kind of have a notion in my head that the results are not going to be totally negative. I would have thought it was that it would just get published in a journal. By having this webcast, which now seems to be for the press only, makes me believe there is going to be something mentioned besides that the XMRV was just contamination. Is Cort or anyone going to be able to get on to this webinar?

currer

well, Ecoclimber used frequently to imply that he had all sorts of inside knowledge. But hes been quiet lately....