• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long-term overmethylation--advice requested

This is different than saying you have gut issues like diarrhea, constipation, reflux and so on. It could be from foods, but it could be other things too.

Have you done stool testing? This would be the best way to see what's going on with your gut. You also have ACAT which can affect the gut, cause kidney stones, etc.

I have gut issues--but since I have no gallbladder, it's so hard to pinpoint from moment to moment what's causing what. I haven't had stool testing but it sounds like a good idea.

Caledonia, thanks for all this information about the micronutrient depletion. I have begun supplementing with B vitamins and a few others but it looks like there are others I need to look into and some things I need to bring to my doctor.

Also of note, I just got my blood testing results:
ComponentStandard RangeYour Value
Sodium, Plasma136 - 145138
Potassium3.7 - 5.23.8
Chloride98 - 108109
Carbon Dioxide22 - 3224
Ion Gap3 - 115
Glucose62 - 12587
Urea Nitrogen8 - 2112
Creatinine0.38 - 1.020.81
Calcium8.9 - 10.29.3
Gfr, Calc, European American>59>60

caledonia

I have gut issues--but since I have no gallbladder, it's so hard to pinpoint from moment to moment what's causing what. I haven't had stool testing but it sounds like a good idea.

Gallbladder issues - I believe this would be due to the ACAT SNP. You can do lipase supplementation to help with fat digestion if that's an issue. You might also want to support ACAT, which would be bile salts (ox bile), to prevent further problems. You said something about kidney values not being good...

It looks like kidney values are back to normal since lithium was decreased in 2012. BUN and creatinine were off at that time, tested and re-tested 4 times.

I have supplemented with ox bile in the past but the standard 500mg dose is too much for my system--I need to find a way to divide the capsules, if I can divide them into small enough doses. I was taking a supplement with maybe 50mg, I think, and that worked for me, but it's a somewhat pricey line I got through my practitioner.

Update: I think my anxiety is slowly but steadily lessening, while I am settling into state of what feels like a decrease in motivation. I am still not taking any methylfolate and am taking niacin, 50mg several times a day, along with the b12 and other b vitamins discussed above, potassium, magnesium, etc. described above. My acne is still not improving, and I'm still extremely fatigued during the day with sleep disturbances at night. I'll be in to see my doctor on Tuesday.

You poor thing. I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through. I really hope you've found a resolution to your symptoms, but if you're still struggling I think it might be very useful to look into a condition called pyroluria (also known as pyrrole disorder, malveria, mauve disease, krypotopyroluria, HPL, and some other variations on that theme). Your symptoms seem very familiar to me, and part of the solution would be supplementation with certain nutrients as well as identifying sources of oxidative stress in your life and managing your emotional stress levels.