• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for a doctor in NYC

Tiger Lily 813

Please let me know if you've had a good experience!
I've heard of Dr. Ehrland, but I cannot pay $750/appt...
I'm ideally looking for someone who does both holistic and conventional with a good knowledge of CFS/ME/Lyme/Candida/Methylation/Mitochondrial dysfunction/etc...
Much appreciated : )!!

Aerose91

@sparklehoof

I've been seeing Dr Enlander as well but am looking to find a new M.E. doctor. I live in CT but will travel a bit. Have you found anyone? Dr Enlander is just too cookie-cutter for me.

Tiger Lily 813

I am still going through some testing with my doctor to find out if lyme or mold are more of the cause for me, but I am wanting to go to two doctors that you might want to look up:
Dr. Claudia Cooke-
NYC, sounds amazing, she is a LLMD as I got the reference from ILADS, but she seems to specialize generally in a long list of chronic, hard-to-treat conditions. She is not cheap, but apparently cheaper than Dr. Enlander.
Nancy Guberti-
A naturopath with extensive experience in treating toxic illnesses. She is in Connecticut, but will also Skype. It seems her expertise is on toxic illness, liver conditions, lyme, autism, etc. She has radio shows on her website that I've been listening to at work and I would really like her opinion on my case.

Tiger Lily 813

I'm also looking into the Morrison center; my CFIDS/adrenal fatigue also has a lyme and (possibly) mold origin, so I've been researching more people who were helpful with Lyme lately. Please let me know if anyone has heard about them... Thanks!

Daffodil

dr. leo galland is very good but expensive and does not take insurance. I had a very bad experience with dr. susan Levine but some people seem to like her. she takes insurance.

Tiger Lily 813

They are ALL expensive. I have come to expect that is how it has to be- especially for chronic lyme because it's controversial therefore doctors who agree to treat it do not want to be too involved with the insurance companies.

Aerose91

I tried to get in to see Dr Galland but he is extraordinarily expensive. $1150 for 1 hour not including lab tests and follow ups are $450 for 45 minutes. The president doesn't even make that much

Aerose91

I feel like the standard that I am hearing is around 600-700 which is still terrible but 1150 whoa!!

Everyone I've seen has been within the 450-750 range, that's before lab tests tho. Yah Dr galland is highway robbery- it's apparent some people aren't in it for the sake of helping people

Daffodil

wow dr. galland's new patient price has gone up. but the phone consults were like $350 for 20 minutes I think...so its better to see him in person!

I really like him. he is very thorough and easy to talk to. unlike a lot of the cheaper doctors, he focuses on you when you are with him.

sadly, I stopped being able to afford him a long time ago. also, despite all the testing, he couldn't find what was wrong with me. still really like the guy, though....he tried hard to help me.

Tiger Lily 813

Went to Dr. Moreno at the Morrison Center and although it was just the first appt so, early to say for sure what my ultimate review will be, I was really pleased thus far with the knowledge of my conditions. This is where I have decided to continue for the time being. I will update once I've had more done there!

Tiger Lily 813

Hi there, just bumping this thread to see if any new docs in NYC. I feel like it's time for a second opinion, but not sure where to go.
Thanks!

Shoshana

Northern USA
I have not read this entire thread, so don't know if this is applicable or totally not,

but just in case, it helps you,

I don't know the doctors names, cant remember,
but in NYC, there are some experts in post-polio syndrome,

Later results from a person having had in the past,
a non-paralytic polio that was undiagnosed at the time, perhaps as a child,
perhaps before getting polio vaccine.

Again, ignore if not helpful.
If curious, you could google it ,
to find out more info and/or the specific doctors knowledgable on it.

Aerose91

Hi there, just bumping this thread to see if any new docs in NYC. I feel like it's time for a second opinion, but not sure where to go.
Thanks!
Hey Tiger,

She's not in NYC, but Dr Sheryl Leventhal in Valley Cottage, NY is the best functional doctor I've seen throughout the whole country. She's not an ME specific doctor but is well versed in it on top of being a very intelligent overall functional doc. She is also well versed in Lyme- she is the one, who after 11 doctors, finally found something fishy on my tests and sent me to a lyme specific doc she recommended, who diagnosed me with bartonella.
Her first visit is $450 for like a 2 hr visit and then $140 per hour visit after that which is the most reasonable I've seen yet. That is, unless she raised her rates in the past year.
She is about an hour north of NYC on the Hudson River. You can even get a metro line north into Tarrytown which is right across the Tappan Zee Bridge from her.
I saw Dr Enlander for over a year and found her far more comprehensive, knowledgable and open to discussion than him. Not to mention cheaper.

Hope this is an option for you. All the best.