• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low globulin subclasses, high albumin

Thinktank

My globulin level has been low for quite a while now so the doc. decided to measure the globulin subclasses.
They are all low of borderline low.
The albumin is high in percentage but borderline low in count.

Total protein - (low). 6.1 g/dl (ref. range = 6.6 - 8.7
Albumin perc / ratio.- (high). 66.2% (ref. range 55.8-66.1%)
Albumin count - (borderline low). 4.04 g/dl (ref. range 4.02 - 4.76 g/dl)

alpha 1 = 0.21 g/dl (borderline low) (ref. range = 0.21 - 0.35 g/dl)
alpha 2 = 0.43 g/dl (low) (ref. range = 0.51 - 0.85 g/dl)
beta 1 = 0.37 g/dl (ref. range = 0.34 - 0.52 g/dl)
beta 2 = 0.21 g/dl (low) (ref range = 0.23 - 0.47 g/dl)
Gamma = 0.85 g/dl (suboptimal) (ref. range = 0.80 - 1.35 g/dl)

Anyone here with a similar result? I yet have to talk to the doc. but i guess the low protein and its subclasses is caused by my inflammatory bowel disease.

halcyon

Are these results from an electrophoresis test? Some of my results are similar to yours but the reference ranges on mine are quite a bit different so mine aren't marked as low.

Are you getting enough protein in your diet? You mentioned IBD which can cause malabsorption for sure.

Have you had your gamma immunoglobulin levels (IgA/IgE/IgG/IgM) measured separately?

Thinktank

Yes from an electrophoresis test.

IgG was borderline low a year ago, I'm going to test IgA,IgE,IgG and IgM again sometime next week.

Yes, my diet is optimal but food isn't digested properly. Adding digestive enzymes helps with the digestion but causes more inflammation within a few days.
I believe there's also something going on with my liver that might lead to lower globulin levels. MRI scan with contrast fluid shows innumerable small lesions through both liver lobes but the doctors say it's "congenital"..... I also had a full body PET-scan done last year for suspected lymphoma and my liver lit up like a christmas tree.