• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium supplements and tiredness/sleepiness/muscle weakness?

penny

I've been taking magnesium (malate) for quite a while now, and I believe it helps me, most noticeably with muscle tension/cramping/pain. I typically take a dose in the morning, a dose in the evening plus an epsom salt bath before bed. I split the dose this way because I wanted to try and get more in every day but taking a single large dose seemed like it would be pointless because of bowel tolerance/absorption.

Anyway, I've been bad about taking my supplements the last week or so because of nausea (well, the last month but very bad last week) and noticed some ill effects that I think were attributable to missing my normal supplements (increased muscle soreness at night=disrupted sleep, constipation, muscle cramps), but also feeling a little less tired. I am back 'on the wagon', and have this feeling that I get significantly more sleepy/tired/weak after my morning dose of pills, which includes magnesium, potassium, salt and folate.

I know that magnesium helps relax muscles, and that it helps some people sleep, and it got me thinking that perhaps taking my morning magnesium dose is actually reducing my overall functionality and making me feel worse in the morning.

My evidence is weak, since so many factors can be at play in how one feels minute to minute, day to day and week to week, but I am wondering if others have noticed magnesium making them feel more tired, sleepy or weak? Or if you know a reason why it might have this effect.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your wonderful collective experience and wisdom!

AFCFS

I take magnesium and do well with it. It does not make me feel more tired, but more relaxed.

Improper use of antacids or milk of magnesia can create magnesium toxicity. With severe elevations of magnesium in the bloodstream, called hypermagnesemia, other symptoms such as loss of muscle reflexes, breathing problems, irregular heartbeat and dangerously low blood pressure can occur.

So, it is conceivable that low blood pressure from magnesium toxicity may make one tired, but it also seems that would not likely occur in isolation from other symptoms. But as we are all so individualistic in our responses to meds and supplements, who knows?

I have had two docs that would like me to be on less supplements (after one suggested many) and told me the best way to go about it was either to pair down one at a time and see if I was missing it, or start from zero and add on. If had a definite positive impact to keep it. Otherwise, do not use it. As I have been doing this, I have seen very few supplements worth keeping around. Some have had a bit of positive impact but then really nothing miraculous.

They also noted that combinations I had figured out to be effective for me were OK (like L-Tryptophan, Melatonin, and GABA for sleep) but also might want to toy around with taking one out, adjusting dose, etc.

Think any supplementation - on or off - should be discussed with a doc.

caledonia

I take 7 teaspoons of magnesium glycinate divided throughout the day (2000 mg mag glycinate/300mg magnesium per tsp). It makes my muscles feel relaxed. Without it, I have restless legs that keep me awake all night long, heart palpitations and constipation.

I haven't noticed any effect, good or bad on energy. It does help me feel relaxed at bedtime - that's when I take the biggest dose (4 tsp).

The folate might be causing detox, which would make you feel worse. Try reducing the dose and see if that helps.

AFCFS

I have used 200-1000 mg / day of Magnesium Orotate. Here is an article and some links if they help:

9 Common Types of Magnesium Explained

Published on October 1, 2010 by Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, ND

Magnesium is one of the most abundant minerals in the human bod and 50% of magnesium is located in the bones. Magnesium, similar to zinc, is a necessary cofactor for over 300 biochemical reactions in the human body. This includes everyday processes, such as muscle building, maintaining nerve function, keeping a healthy heartbeat and sustaining optimal immune system function.

Because scientific studies are examining the role of magnesium in alleviating or circumventing many commonly occurring chronic ailments, it is important to be educated on the variations in magnesium supplements; especially magnesium orotate, the best form of the mineral supplement.
Magnesium is not easily absorbed in the body unless first attached to transporting substance. For this reason, many supplement manufacturers have “chelated” magnesium to organic and amino acids. A few of these include magnesium oxide, magnesium sulfate and magnesium carbonate. Quality depends on the amount of magnesium in the supplement and how bioavailable it is. Bioavailability refers to the amount of magnesium in the supplement that can be assimilated by the digestive system and used for cellular activity and health benefit.

9 Types of Magnesium

1. Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate
A mineral chelate form of magnesium containing an ion of magnesium oxide connected to a mixture of some other form of amino acid. This could be a lactate, a glycine, aspartate or arginate, etc. The best chelated amino acid form of magnesium is aspartate or arginate.

2. Magnesium Oxide
Also referred to as “Magnesia”, magnesium oxide is commonly used medicinally as a laxative and relief for acid reflux. This type of magnesium shows high levels of concentration, but poor levels of bioavailability (only 4%).

3. Magnesium Citrate
Derived from the magnesium salt of citric acid, this form of magnesium has lower concentration, but a high level of bioavalibity (90%). Magnesium citrate is commonly used as to induce a bowel movement, but has also been studied for kidney stone prevention.

4. Magnesium Orotate
The most effective form of magnesium supplement, created through the use of the mineral salts of orotic acid. Both plants and animals use orotates to create DNA and RNA. Extensive scientific research by Dr. Hans A. Nieper, M.D. shows orotates can penetrate cell membranes, enabling the effective delivery of the magnesium ion to the inner-most layers of the cellular mitochondria and nucleus. Magnesium orotate contains many properties that can help protect you and your health, while offering your cells the most readily-absorbable form of magnesium on the market today.

5. Magnesium Chloride
A form of magnesium showing moderate concentrations, but higher levels of bioavalibity when compared to magnesium oxide. Magnesium chloride has many uses, most commonly to help manufacture paper, some types of cements and fireproofing agents.

6. Magnesium Lactate
This type of magnesium shows moderate concentrations, but higher levels of bioavalibity as compared to magnesium oxide. Magnesium lactate is a mineral supplement that is most commonly used for treating digestive issues. Magnesium lactate should be avoided by those with kidney disease or kidney-related problems.

7. Magnesium Sulfate
An inorganic form of magnesium with an elemental concentration of 10% and lower levels of bioavailability. Magnesium sulfate contains magnesium and sulfer and oxygen; it’s commonly referred to as Epsom Salt.

8. Magnesium Carbonate
This form of magnesium has moderate levels of elemental concentration and 30% bioavalibity rates. Magnesium carbonate has a strong laxative-effect when taken in high dosages. It is also commonly known as chalk, and is used as a drying agent by pitchers, gymnasts, rock climbers and weight lifters.

9. Magnesium Glycinate, Malate & Taurates
Chelated forms of magnesium holding moderate to low concentrations and higher levels of bioavailability. All three types of magnesium have a variety of uses, but none are as beneficial as the previous magnesium supplements listed above.

Also, a good overview here, at University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), including this snippet of advice:
It is a good idea to take a B vitamin complex, or a multivitamin containing B vitamins, because the level of vitamin B6 in the body determines how much magnesium will be absorbed into the cells.

And then here from WebMD, as well as How Much Magnesium Is Harmful?, and Magnesium is Vital for Good Health.

I mentioned this in another post, but may also be useful here: Magnesium and the Brain: The Original Chill Pill.

Dosing guidelines vary, as well as treatment objectives.

penny

Thanks for all the ideas & input!

L'engle Interesting about the headaches! I'll have to try some magnesium the next time I get a headache.

caledonia Also, I'd be surprised if the folate is causing detox symptoms after over a year of regular use, a fairly modest dose (800mcg). Anyway, I suspect that'd be one supplement my doc's would not want me to drop, what with a bun in the oven ; )

AFCFS I don't think I have magnesium toxicity, though I guess I don't know that for sure. My dosage isn't terribly high (~560mg of mag malate - not including the malic acid, plus the epsom salt bath) and by all indications my kidney function is fine.

I do have a strong negative reaction to calcium, and supplemental magnesium has seemed to help counteract/balance this. But maybe I need less of it than I used to, I am being quite good about calcium avoidance so perhaps I don't need as much to counterbalance...

I do still think it helps me, maybe by making sleep more possible (by reducing one of my obstacles - muscle pain) but I never thought of it as making me sleepy before. But hypothetically if it helps with muscle relaxation, I wonder if it could inadvertently exacerbate POTS symptoms (by decreasing muscle tone thus decreasing vasoconstriction)? Hmmmm....

Maybe I'll try cutting out my morning dose for a bit and see if my 'energy' patterns in the morning change any...

penny

Thanks! I do take a b-complex and b6 (as well as b12 and handful of other supp's), though neither are in the same morning dose that my magnesium is in. I generally take:
- before breakfast - folate, magnesium, potassium, salt
- after breakfast - lysine, b-complex, salt, vit. c, b12 (was taking serine, but moved to evening dose for a trial)
- afternoon - lysine, potassium, salt, vit. c (sometimes more b12)
- after dinner/bedtime - lysine, magnesium, b6, serine, potassium (zinc, when I think my stomach will tolerate it)

And over the last year and a half I've had good overall improvement but specifically have lost my 'wired/tired' hypersensitivity. I can not only ride in a car without twitching/panicking at every motion, but can drive! as well as a ton of improvement in tolerating sunlight and noise (distinguishing foreground from background noise), handling stress/adrenaline, and in particular being woken up in the middle of the night by noise (which used to just suck, suck, suck). I think a lot of this could be related to the types of 'good' things that decreased nmda/glutamate and increased gaba can do (although admittedly my grasp on the why here is very weak), and I think (for me at least) the magnesium supplements and calcium avoidance help with this. So yes, I can totally see magnesium as a chill pill ;)

I've been taking magnesium (malate) for quite a while now, and I believe it helps me, most noticeably with muscle tension/cramping/pain. I typically take a dose in the morning, a dose in the evening plus an epsom salt bath before bed. I split the dose this way because I wanted to try and get more in every day but taking a single large dose seemed like it would be pointless because of bowel tolerance/absorption.

Anyway, I've been bad about taking my supplements the last week or so because of nausea (well, the last month but very bad last week) and noticed some ill effects that I think were attributable to missing my normal supplements (increased muscle soreness at night=disrupted sleep, constipation, muscle cramps), but also feeling a little less tired. I am back 'on the wagon', and have this feeling that I get significantly more sleepy/tired/weak after my morning dose of pills, which includes magnesium, potassium, salt and folate.

I know that magnesium helps relax muscles, and that it helps some people sleep, and it got me thinking that perhaps taking my morning magnesium dose is actually reducing my overall functionality and making me feel worse in the morning.

My evidence is weak, since so many factors can be at play in how one feels minute to minute, day to day and week to week, but I am wondering if others have noticed magnesium making them feel more tired, sleepy or weak? Or if you know a reason why it might have this effect.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your wonderful collective experience and wisdom!

Hi penny,

I have experienced the same thing after taking my morning magnesium. I don't feel bad or anything but I do feel like I need to take a nap and I'll stretch out in my recliner. And I fall into a sort of stupor and I will fall asleep for maybe half an hour. I don't fall asleep very easily so this for me is a relief as I can get some badly needed sleep and just go with it.

Magnesium does have a mild sedative effect.

After a week of this the heavy or stuper feeling went away and it has not come back. I think it is the magnesium doing it's job.

How much of magnesium do you take per day?

I take a sustained release magnesium product which releases the magnesium slowly over a period of 8 hours. And doesn't cause the diarea associated with other oral magnesium supplements. Jigsaw magnesium w/srt.

A new oral magnesium product on the market is highly concentrated and 100% aborbed search: (Dr.Carolyn Dean MD ND and ReMag) Dr. Dean wrote the book called "the magnesium miracle" and is one of the formost researcher into the benefits of magnesium. Maybe you have heard of her.

I have not had the opportunity to try the ReMag product yet as it is on backorder and will not ship out untill Dec. 6, 3 days from now.

Hope this helps.

caledonia

Hmmm, maybe what you're describing as tired/sleepy/weak is the same as what others are called a relaxed sensation. You're only taking the mag twice a day, so maybe you could take the same total dose subdivided into four equal doses throughout the day. Or three smaller equal doses with a higher dose at bedtime, which is how I do it.

ps. congratulation on your lil bun! Hope it all goes well.

penny

Hi penny,
I have experienced the same thing after taking my morning magnesium. I don't feel bad or anything but I do feel like I need to take a nap and I'll stretch out in my recliner. And I fall into a sort of stupor and I will fall asleep for maybe half an hour. I don't fall asleep very easily so this for me is a relief as I can get some badly needed sleep and just go with it.

Thanks Robertpcx, it does sound similar, and you describe it better than I did. It isn't an unpleasant feeling, as Caledonia points out maybe it's the same as being relaxed. And it often seems to be the overpowering desire for a nap, which is odd since I've usually just woken up. I think the problem is more my timing, I need to be awake in the morning (at least when working) not sleepy and relaxed.

Hmmm, maybe what you're describing as tired/sleepy/weak is the same as what others are called a relaxed sensation. You're only taking the mag twice a day, so maybe you could take the same total dose subdivided into four equal doses throughout the day. Or three smaller equal doses with a higher dose at bedtime, which is how I do it.

I think you're right, I'm going to start with just omitting my morning dose, and see if the relaxed feeling actually goes away (or whether it's something other than the magnesium causing it) and how I sleep with only my evening dose + epsom salt bath. Then maybe add a bit back in, like you suggest in small doses, or maybe one of the extended release products Robertpcx mentions.

ps. congratulation on your lil bun! Hope it all goes well.

Thanks! I hope so too, but so far so good (if not easy, though from what I hear, even without ME or POTS it isn't usually particularly easy ;)

So I've been taking magnesium for a month or so now for a-fib. Started feeling tired and lethargic and decided to check and see if others had experienced the same, and indeed I see that some have.

Hi penny,

Magnesium does have a mild sedative effect.

After a week of this the heavy or stuper feeling went away and it has not come back. I think it is the magnesium doing it's job.

How much of magnesium do you take per day?

I take a sustained release magnesium product which releases the magnesium slowly over a period of 8 hours. And doesn't cause the diarea associated with other oral magnesium supplements. Jigsaw magnesium w/srt.

A new oral magnesium product on the market is highly concentrated and 100% aborbed search: (Dr.Carolyn Dean MD ND and ReMag) Dr. Dean wrote the book called "the magnesium miracle" and is one of the formost researcher into the benefits of magnesium. Maybe you have heard of her.

I have not had the opportunity to try the ReMag product yet as it is on backorder and will not ship out untill Dec. 6, 3 days from now.

Hope this helps.
So did you ever get around to trying ReMag? Btw, Dr. Deans claims that she has a magnesium product that is 100% absorbed at the cellular level is contradicted by many studies that I've read which suggest that magnesium cannot be absorbed 100% in any of its forms. Are you aware of any supporting studies to hers? Thanks

Last edited: