• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Managing Potassium Deficiency - Share your experience

end

I am also happy to report that now I no longer need magnesium, salt, vit. E succinate and triple boron. Those are the last of my adrenal, Kreb's cycle, and CBS supps, except for one last CBS supp - molybdenum. I've also been able to cut back significantly on fish oil.

I'm taking so few things, I'm actually having trouble remembering to take them - methylcobalamin, adenosylcobalamin, potassium, Zoloft, Yasko All in One multi (which contains methylfolate among other things), and fish oil - that's it.

I'm also having what I believe are metal detox symptoms, specifically from mercury - ringing in the ears, and anxiety with some OCD type death thoughts. These on are the mild side, but still bothersome. I have a metal test coming to see what's going on with metals for sure.

I've also been sleeping about 10% extra. Normally, with this disease I've been sleeping in the 10-12 hour range, now it's almost consistently 12 hours in either one or two sessions.

My sleep cycle is normalizing to falling asleep in the evening and waking up in the morning. This is new for me, and really like a miracle. Having a consistent and normal sleep cycle has been one of my most intractable problems. For many years my sleep moved forward up to an hour a day and I had no regular sleep cycle at all. Now I'm going to bed around 10pm-1am and getting up 10am to noon. Some days I might have to take a nap in the afternoon.

@caledonia

Are you saying molybdenum can cause tinnitus because it causes metal detox?

"I'm also having what I believe are metal detox symptoms, specifically from mercury - ringing in the ears, and anxiety with some OCD type death thoughts. These on are the mild side, but still bothersome. I have a metal test coming to see what's going on with metals for sure."

A friend who has CFS/ME started "moly b" 500mcg x2 of molybdenum and NAC 1200mg x1 just before he's H.Pylori antibiotics three weeks ago, about 2 weeks ago he started getting severe bilateral tinnitus!!!

He has had a strongly positive HS2 test result, which would probably demonstrate a high mercury body burden!!!

He's doctors think the tinnitus is a latent drug interaction with his amitriptyline and clarithromicin(ototoxic) which he was given as part of the H.Pylori protocol(Tinidazole 1000mg/Esomeprazole 40mg/Clarithromicin 1000mg per day)

caledonia

I'm very happy to report that over the past several months I've noticed I'm able to do more sedentary desk type work at the computer. I was re-reading Bell's Disability Scale and surprised to see that I seem to fit the 30% category (previously 25%). http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_Ability_Scale_-_a_rough_measure_of_how_disabled_you_are

Also when I overdo and have PEM, the PEM is noticeably reduced in severity. I would guess my PEM is 30% to even 50% lighter. This has been consistent over several months, so I think it's a permanent thing.

All of this happened around the same time as my thyroid getting better, and getting the mercury out.

sregan

I just wondered if resveratrol or grape extract might be doing something unique and provide an alternative to potassium for reducing these symptoms.

I found the resveratrol, for me, does the same as my histamine reducing Leutolin.

LynnJ

How do those of you taking high doses of potassium reduce the risk of stomach upset, besides using powder instead of pills?

Also, does anyone know if it's normal for potassium citrate to not dissolve completely? I've been twisting open the clear pills (NOW Potassium Citrate brand) and pouring the powder inside into my water, but it never actually fully dissolves. Not sure if that matters or not...

whodathunkit

To avoid stomach upset, take potassium powder with a large (8 oz or more) glass of juice, or take with food.

IMO NOW brand powders aren't that great. They have a lot of anti-caking agents in them and never dissolve all the way. I'll use them for oral dosing but not for making topical potions or liposomal vitamin C, or anything where it really matters that there be no incipients.

Beyond-A-Century used to have pretty good pure powders of stuff that would dissolve nicely, if that's important to you. However, for oral use I don't think it's that big a deal, unless you're taking something that needs to be taken on an absolutely empty stomach like MSM.

Freddd

How do those of you taking high doses of potassium reduce the risk of stomach upset, besides using powder instead of pills?

Also, does anyone know if it's normal for potassium citrate to not dissolve completely? I've been twisting open the clear pills (NOW Potassium Citrate brand) and pouring the powder inside into my water, but it never actually fully dissolves. Not sure if that matters or not...

Hi Lynn,

I take the potassium gluconate tablets, 7 with each of 21 meals, and a bedtime dose or some other time of day, of 3-4 with sufficient water. That those doses need to be taken 2-3 hours apart at minimum to not upset my stomach.

LynnJ

Thanks guys.

I have to take potassium citrate because of my interstitial cystitis, and it's kind of hard to find it. The other types of potassium seem far more popular.

Whether or not the powder dissolves isn't important to me as long as it doesn't affect absorption.

whodathunkit

Lynn, if you're not happy with NOW brand or have difficulty getting it, try Beyond-A-Century. Can't remember the web address right now...just google it. They have a very large selection of powders and things that are difficult to find at other vitamin stores. They sell in bulk and frequently it's not name brands, but I've found their stuff to be pretty good. I don't shop there more because I like faster shipping at cheaper prices than they offer. But if you're willing to wait a normal ship time (3-7 days, depending upon method selected, IIRC), they probably have potassium citrate, in large quantities, at reasonable prices. Can't say for sure, but in my experience they've always been a good source of hard-to-find stuff.

LynnJ

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Today is odd. I'm trying to up my potassium intake (slowly, because I don't want to get sick - it's 3:00 PM and I've taken 600mg so far), and I think I'm going to take less B12 too. So far I've only taken my normal morning dose of 5000mcg (CL). Usually by this time of the day I've taken another 2000-4000mcg of B12.

The left side of my neck, left shoulder (back and front in pecs) and left arm feels very odd. Crampy, achy, stiff, and with that "off" sensation you sometimes get when you sleep on a limb funny. Know what I mean? It's so hard to describe.

Within the last 15 minutes my arms are starting to feel weak/shaky as well. EDIT: Just got up to get the door and my legs are shaky too. WEIRD!

Normally my right shoulder is the problematic one, and this pain feels a little different from my "standard" pain.

I've got some painless muscle twitches in my calves, so I know that the potassium I've taken thus far hasn't cut it. That's a classic symptom for me that indicates I need more. I'm going to try to take a total of 1000mg via supplements today and see how it goes. I do have a breakfast/diet drink that's from Atkins I believe, that I usually have every day. Very low carb and low sugar, with I think between 500-600mg of potassium. Maybe I can get my hands on some tomato soup or a baked potato for dinner. Something with more potassium...

Holy cow do my arms feel tired after typing this! :sluggish:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I only take 3 tablets with a couple of my meals and I spread them through the meal.

I drink a cup of vegetable juice (V-8-type for those in U.S.) each day. Bananas are a good source of potassium. Food sources are easier on my digestion than supplements, but supplements are easier.

PDXhausted

Took a tiny microdose of mb12 and methylfolate about 24 hours ago. I've been up all night, mind racing, very thirsty and peeing, muscles feel weird, shaking, and feel like I'm losing marbles. I've been taking some potassium, but how long til this wears off?? This is miserable.

Freddd

Took a tiny microdose of mb12 and methylfolate about 24 hours ago. I've been up all night, mind racing, very thirsty and peeing, muscles feel weird, shaking, and feel like I'm losing marbles. I've been taking some potassium, but how long til this wears off?? This is miserable.

Hi PDXhausted,

Do you have edema generally speaking? I would be inclined to say that an extreme response such as this indicates a really severe deficiency. You have "xhausted" as part of your name. Consider how far below that is from normal. One possibility is to cut back to only MeCbl at first here, and find a level of a crumb, that can be felt but not so much. For me at least dumping urine with methylfolate indicated that I was deficient in methylfolate. Another possibility is to take a crumb of AdoCbl, maybe alternating days., As these build up towards equilibrium the excitatory characteristics fade. There is a balance needed between these two. The water dumping could cause a need for potassium. It does for me and is part of the shaky muscle thing for me. When B12 starts in a nervous system very deficient everything is amplified and can be quite turbulent in ,my experience. Some of the symptoms could be from falling serum levels on the downside. Three tiny crumbs across the day might be steadier than one dose a day. A method used by some is to grind up one of the tablets and take a tiny crumb and then another until titrated up to just barely feeling the dose. When methyltrap is present, very small amounts of MeCbl can change that to partial methylation block.

What is happening is what happens on the way to healing BUT it can be reined back for better comfort.

Perhaps a serving of beef liver per day for a while might be a lot gentler. Or if you are in the right area and prefer, a plate of steamers or oysters daily could do the trick more gently. However, they are not as complete as the liver.

Good luck.

PDXhausted

I believe I have a neurological infection. When I take mb12 alone (a tiny crumb), 12 hours later after I take it my nerves ring and body vibrates, feels like my bed is shaking. I decided to try adding the folate (a tiny crumb) to see if that would balance things. The vibrating was improved, but about 12 hours later is when I started to feel crazy. I am COMT +/- and MAO +/+.

I mainly just wanted to know when this will all wear off. I think the liver is a good idea, as I am highly sensitive to most drugs and supplements, even before CFS onset.

PDXhausted

Forgot to mention I'm on Equilibrant right now which contains licorice... I believe licorice affects potassium as well. Anyone have altered potassium needs with methylation when on Equilibrant or licorice?

Interesting link here that explains the interaction of potassium, sodium and magnesium:
http://www.mgwater.com/schroll.shtml

It suggests that magnesium is what enables the potassium/sodium pump within the cell to operate. So:
- If potassium levels are high enough, but a person is deficient in magnesium, the 'pump' will not operate to get the potassium into the cells.
- If magnesium levels are high enough to operate the 'pump', but potassium levels are too low, then there is not enough potassium to be pumped into the cells.

I had high sodium & low potassium readings on my blood test, and the methylation protocol works amazingly well for about a week on low levels, before I get foggy. Magnesium and potassium together seem to sort this out.

Would be interested in thoughts on whether this mechanism seems right.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I'm taking 2 -2.6g of LoSalt (66% potassium, 33% sodium)...dissolved in 1L of purified water. Its provides about 700 - 900mg of potassium. I sip it slowly from about 8am to 3 pm. If I do exercise I may take 1.3 grams..or 1/4 teaspoon.. Or 450mg of potassium...more in the evening in water.

Its been a very cheap and effective method, using LoSalt

For magnesium, I take gylcinate caps 4x a day

What it is, I get potassium almost completely from foods, and I eat most of it between 2-7pm, mainly 4-6:30. And my theoretically-potassium-related symptoms are leg pains of various sorts, that often wake me up around 6 am (though anytime 3-7, and once at 2 when it was really bad -- the night that led me to start the 'Ow!' thread).

People who can get enough potassium from food alone for healing are very rare and includes me. I eat 1500 calories a day, not anywhere near enough to have even minimum required potassium. Then to have it most in a 5 hour period can't keep it in serum long enough.
@Freddd
Hi Freddd, I know this is an older post, but I'm curious about the 1500 calories. Is there a reason you decided on that number? Is it simply because 1500 seems to work for you, or are you relying on some sort of guidelines? I ask because 1500 seems extremely low for an adult male. I've read that the WHO considers 1300 calories to be starvation (I can't find an original for that comment, but I have found WHO articles discussing malnutrition at 1300 calories). Also wondering if you're familiar with the Minnesota Starvation experiment-- where men who lowered their calories to around 1500 started experiencing all sorts of health and psych issues.
Just wondering if the calories seem to be affecting anything for you health wise.
Thanks