• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Massage: Muscle Breakdown or Toxin Release?

ukxmrv

My experience was that massage caused PEM symptoms for me. The more massage the more PEM. A course of massage equaled more PEM and like exercise it got worse over time. Tried different types of message including lymph drainage which was the same.

Drank water and tried all the obvious things.

If I was releasing toxins they weren't going anywhere useful

It was after a road traffic accident that things really flared up into lot of pain during massage and after. Even trigger point release massage was too painful with the accident trigger points becoming unbearable painful. Then again, so was osteopathy etc.

So 2 different reactions pre and post accident.

golden

I had been experiencing some improvements in my CFS/ME recently and was feeling like things were looking up. However, about two weeks ago I went for a light swedish massage. The pressure was not anything abnormally strong or painful. Within about 3 or so hours of the massage I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I had serious pain all over and became incredibly tired. I finally feel like I might be getting back to normal but this pain and fatigue persisted for about two weeks.

I know that the alternative health community says that toxins are released during a massage and that massages also help lymph drainage to detoxify the body. This would make sense for me because I have a history of heavy metal toxicity (copper) and the symptoms were very similar to when I was detoxing for that.

However as far as I can tell, the medical community does not believe in any of that... and from what I've gathered they believe it is more so muscle breakdown. Maybe its both?

I'm just trying to decide whether or not it would be beneficial for me to continue with the massages regularly to help release toxins or if its doing more harm than good? Anyone have any thoughts?

I havent read the thread just ur original post.

It took me 15 years to work out why massages where knocking me out - and were bad for me...

It was when I started The Perrin Technique sessions and read his theory it made sense. I am sorry I cant remember the technical detsils.

The lymph is drained in ONE direction only and out of the head....

It is the only massage that was manageable and beneficial and had palpable results.

In fact it is a fundamental cornerstone to my healing. Although people get fully cured on it in ky case I am onky improved on it but this is a long way
from the damage caused to me by massages... sometimes serious.

I will look for a link to exppain it properly :)

http://www.theperrinclinic.com/about.html
hope this helps...

Last edited:

jerrymcfadyen

What I've found through personal experience is that it depends on the therapist. I gave massage therapy a try early on at a national chain massage parlor. I had a wonderful therapist who understood my problem and always left me very relaxed and feeling well for several days.

She quit working there and I tried several others but they all left me feeling sore and feeling flu like symptoms for several days. I found a private therapist and again had a wonderful experience twice a month for over a year. She didn't even charge me for it. She said her rich customers pay enough that she does it free for folks who medically need it. Any way she quit to have and raise her baby and I once again went on the search and got very bad results.

They all seem to understand that I need only light Swedish massage but they end up leaving me in pain every time.
Keep looking for "the right one" it is worth the effort.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It may not be the same thing as you are experiencing, but I sometimes get significant pain in the lower back areas on either side of my spine.
I have also been having pain on either side of my spine in my lower back. Sometimes it is so low that it is in my hip(s). Often it is on one side or much worse on one side that the other. I have not been able to figure out the cause.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I found massage/physical therapy very helpful when I was able to get it while experiencing moderate ME. I was told to be well-hydrated before the session and to rest and stay hydrated afterward.

One day I got careless and was not as well-hydrated as I should have been. I was amazed at how badly I felt afterward.

It was about a half-hour drive to my therapist. I had my last glass of water shortly before I left and needed to go to the bathroom when I arrived. I don't think I would want to have a massage on a full bladder.

If getting trigger point therapy, be sure the therapist is well-trained. The same may apply to lymphatic drainage.

JAM

Jill
If getting trigger point therapy, be sure the therapist is well-trained. The same may apply to lymphatic drainage.
It most definitely applies to lymphatic drainage as well. LD is a very powerful technique and can be dangerous if the therapist doesn't know what they are doing. I always get references and check certifications.

SB_1108

I don't really see how people fall into the "toxins are a myth" belief system. After experiencing a heavy metal detox and die-off from probiotic and fungal treatments I am well aware that toxins exist. I think a lot people don't comprehend the word "toxin" because they aren't sure what it refers to and thats understandable I guess - but once you've experienced it, you know they exist. A toxin can be any waste product or excess substance that does not belong in the body.