• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA launch Justgiving page to raise remaining funds to get Dr Lipkin to UK

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The MEA have invited Dr Lipkin to be a keynote speaker at the conference of the UK ME/CFS Research Collaborative, which will be held in Bristol on 1-2 Sept 2014.

They need £3,1000 and have already got £1,725.

Here's the Justgiving page - pile on, everybody! This would be a fantastic thing for the UK. Imagine the positive media coverage we could get out of this!

https://www.justgiving.com/ProfIanLipkinAppeal

Come on, everyone!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It's going well - they've had 11 donations since they set up today and they're now at £1,905 - not far to go to target! :thumbsup:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
This has gone off like a rocket - they're had nearly £500 on its first day (today) and they're nearly 2/3 there. :balloons:

Have pooled some money with rellies and donated. I'd encourage anyone to give - you can see everybody's tenners adding up there. A hundred more people chipping in a tenner and they're done. :thumbsup:

Firestormm

A name like Lipkin, and having him there with the non-bio-lobby would make a world of difference I think. I might try and add some more next week when the pension comes in if I can. Be nice to make even more of his time here in the UK if he comes - to ensure he is able to speak to as many as possible beyond any speech at the conference perhaps.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Yes - I'm really hoping that we can get him in front of as much media as possible while he's here.

Lots of donations now - 78% there with £2,435 after 33 donations.

Let's keep chipping in - nearly there! :thumbsup:

Firestormm

I think they'll be doing a mailing to all organisations etc. in the UK at least to try and get that little bit more needed. Dr Shepherd is meeting with Dr Lipkin in California this week of course. Charles is off to Heathrow later this evening I understand. Wish I was going. Been whistling YMCA all morning :)

Firestormm

MEA have just emailed the following to all those signed up with them:

HELP GET VIRUS HUNTER IAN LIPKIN TO THE UK

We are in the middle of fundraising to get the world’s top virus hunter Professor Ian Lipkin to the UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative conference this September.

He’s agreed to be a keynote speaker at this Bristol conference, which will also include a session where patients can meet key researchers and put forward their views.

In recent years, Professor Lipkin has developed a special interest in ME/CFS.

He has not asked for a fee but has a medical condition that requires that he can recline on the trans-Atlantic flight and will therefore need business-class tickets.

The ME Association are one of several charities of the executive board of the CMRC and, providing arrangements can be finalised, we are prepared to contribute £800 towards the cost of Professor Lipkin’s flights.

The trustees of Action for M.E. have also agreed to contribute £500 on a personal basis towards the cost and we have a pledge from Elaine Newman, MEA fundraiser, to raise £300 from her Ben Nevis climb.

But we estimate that a further £1,500 will be required to cover all of the travel and accommodation costs involved. We’re not quite there yet – so, if you would like to make a contribution, please visit https://www.justgiving.com/ProfIanLipkinAppeal

Hopefully, it will also be mailed to all the support groups on the website. We're so close now. Surely we can make it?! :)

I will be donating more as well when my pension arrives on Thursday :balloons:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
87% there now with £2,700 - final straight! Let's keep donating!

Really, really excited about Dr Lipkin's visit to the UK. This will be HUGE for us! :)

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
is this conference open to patients? i'm sure there must be a thread somewhere - brain not at tis best at the moment, can someone point me in the right direction?