• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medical Tourism - Options

nomad

Anyone interested in a London Support group?
For blood work, and particularly for viral testing. But ideally also, treatment.

Cheaper options in countries where the cost will be substantially lower. I'm in the UK, and up against a medical system that simply isn't interested. And the private options are very limited, ill-informed and very expensive.

That is an interesting topic @nomad . With the large population of CFS/ME-sufferers in the western world, it is surprising that there are not medical communities in low-cost countries who have taken the opportunity in this. From what I know e.g experimental cancer treatment is big business several such places. One of the differences may of course be that many MEsufferers might not want to take as big risks as dying cancer-patients. After all most of us are not dying from the condition, and may not be quite that desperate. Another difference may be that ME is not commonly seen as a disease in those parts of the world…. On the other hand, if the phase III Rituximab-trial now goes on for a while, and not many adverse effects are seen (meaning is not enough problems for them to stop the study), I guess a cancer hospital in e.g. china, with experience in using Rituximab for other conditions, could probably make some money from offering Rituximab in accordance with the trial-protocol to ME-patients from our part of the world. Someone should plant the thought in the right people ;)

nomad

I'm thinking of countries like India, where blood testing is available directly to patients and the labs are numerous and off high quality.

I also want to explore issues such as thyroid, and other hormonal possibilities, particularly using treatment based methods rather just diagnostic. As the latter appears to be quite flawed, given that what's interpreted as normal is contextual. And if a given treatment works, then you have a high probability of a accurate diagnosis.

I'm looking to see if sympathetic, intelligent & humble doctors could be found in these countries who're willing to work with patients to find cures. And given that this could be quite a lengthy process, cost is a major issue.

I'm actually planning to fly out to India, sometime in the new year, and was wondering if anyone else has followed this route.

Abha

Abha
I'm thinking of countries like India, where blood testing is available directly to patients and the labs are numerous and off high quality.

I also want to explore issues such as thyroid, and other hormonal possibilities, particularly using treatment based methods rather just diagnostic. As the latter appears to be quite flawed, given that what's interpreted as normal is contextual. And if a given treatment works, then you have a high probability of a accurate diagnosis.

I'm looking to see if sympathetic, intelligent & humble doctors could be found in these countries who're willing to work with patients to find cures. And given that this could be quite a lengthy process, cost is a major issue.

I'm actually planning to fly out to India, sometime in the new year, and was wondering if anyone else has followed this route.
Hi Nomad

I have used labs/doctors in South Africa(Capetown/Johannesburg)..There are good doctors/clinics there.I have stayed there and visited these.At present the Rand is rather weak thus one gets more for the £.I know too from my working days that many Americans who work abroad(especially in ME) visit Hospitals/doctors in Thailand as it is much cheaper there than in USA.I think many of those Medical people are USA trained.One hospital that I heard mentioned(a lot)was Bumungrad(Bangkok?).I have worked(voluntary) and travelled around India and I know that there are plenty of labs/doctors there.However, be streetwise and ask locals before you decide on anything.!I think in India it may be much better to look at Ayurvedic Health care.There is plenty re that nowadays on the web.

xrunner

I'm looking to see if sympathetic, intelligent & humble doctors could be found in these countries
I'd rather find a doctor with experience and a track record of helping patients, who will suggest the appropriate tests for your situation. You are unlikely to find for e.g. adequate testing for some of the infections that recur most often in subsets of ME patients e.g. Lyme, CPn, etc. in developing countries, let alone doctors who have experience in treating some of these infections. Best wishes.

nomad

I'd rather find a doctor with experience and a track record of helping patients, who will suggest the appropriate tests for your situation. You are unlikely to find for e.g. adequate testing for some of the infections that recur most often in subsets of ME patients e.g. Lyme, CPn, etc. in developing countries, let alone doctors who have experience in treating some of these infections. Best wishes.

@xrunner Have you found such a doctor ? How much has it cost you so far ? Has it resolved your problems ?

nomad

Hi Nomad
I have used labs/doctors in South Africa(Capetown/Johannesburg)..There are good doctors/clinics there.I have stayed there and visited these.At present the Rand is rather weak thus one gets more for the £.I know too from my working days that many Americans who work abroad(especially in ME) visit Hospitals/doctors in Thailand as it is much cheaper there than in USA.I think many of those Medical people are USA trained.One hospital that I heard mentioned(a lot)was Bumungrad(Bangkok?).I have worked(voluntary) and traveled around India and I know that there are plenty of labs/doctors there.However, be streetwise and ask locals before you decide on anything.!I think in India it may be much better to look at Ayurvedic Health care.There is plenty re that nowadays on the web.

@Abha

I'd be very interested in any Cape Town recommendations as I'm planning to spend some time there late next year. You can PM me if you wish.

Regards India, I've been, and lived there, several times, and more importantly know people who've had very successful diagnosis & treatment from hospitals there. This was after being failed by the NHS in the UK.

Yes, the quality varies quite dramatically, and shockingly. But if you have money then you can access seriously good health care.

I also know highly trained Indian medics who now work in the west who can recommend hospitals. However, this thread was put up in the hope of getting names of actual consultants who practice in the CFS/auto-immune field.

Regards Ayurvedic treatments in India, I'd steer well clear. All the reputable ayurvedic educational establishments were dismantled during colonialism, now it's all mostly snake-oil and bull. This comes from experience, of mine and others.

Bangkok is a interesting option. Apart from the drunk gap-year kids, and the whoring ex-pats :D

xrunner

@nomad Hi,
The treatment that started to turn things around for me was at the Breakspear under Dr D now retired.
The place was expensive but had health insurance which helped. That's one option in the UK. I'm not sure there are others that may be fruitful.
Now I'm fairly ok, I don't need medications or supplements to have a decent life so that kind of treatment is may be on hold. Otherwise I'd consider Dr KdM in Bruxelles. Some from the UK are going there and they can better advise regarding this option. I can't think of any other option in Europe I'd consider, overall it's pretty much a sad state of affairs. Best wishes.

nomad

@xrunner thanks for that, I did rule out Breakspear early on as in my case the problems are more complex, and their approach, from the patient feedback I'd read, appeared it probably would not work. Their treatment was also exorbitantly priced and only worth the gamble if you had insurance. Although I'm glad it helped you. Dr KdM I've not yet ruled out but I'd like to find a good private endocrinologist first to look into Hyperthyrodism.

I think in my case the underlying cause is several, and interlinked, with auto-immunity possibility at the centre of it.

nomad

@Abha thanks for the PM :) really appreciate it. For some odd reason it's marked as locked, so I can't message you back !