• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metabolism in chronic fatigue syndrome

Bob

Metabolism in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Armstrong CW, McGregor NR, Butt HL, Gooley PR.
Adv Clin Chem. 2014;66:121-72.
DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-801401-1.00005-0
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25344988
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128014011000050

Abstract
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a poorly understood condition that presents as long-term physical and mental fatigue with associated symptoms of pain and sensitivity across a broad range of systems in the body. The poor understanding of the disorder comes from the varying clinical diagnostic definitions as well as the broad array of body systems from which its symptoms present. Studies on metabolism and CFS suggest irregularities in energy metabolism, amino acid metabolism, nucleotide metabolism, nitrogen metabolism, hormone metabolism, and oxidative stress metabolism. The overwhelming body of evidence suggests an oxidative environment with the minimal utilization of mitochondria for efficient energy production. This is coupled with a reduced excretion of amino acids and nitrogen in general. Metabolomics is a developing field that studies metabolism within a living system under varying conditions of stimuli. Through its development, there has been the optimisation of techniques to do large-scale hypothesis-generating untargeted studies as well as hypothesis-testing targeted studies. These techniques are introduced and show an important future direction for research into complex illnesses such as CFS.

Ema

I haven't read the entire thing yet but part of this caught my eye regarding unregulated 5-HTP receptors in the hypothalamus. I've always suspected that my serotonin level was not low (as speculated in major depression) but there was something else going on with that system given my abysmal response to any sort of SSRI/SSNRI/etc drug.

This article (from 1992) seems to address this:

Possible upregulation of hypothalamic 5-hydroxytryptamine receptors in patients with postviral fatigue syndrome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1881733/pdf/bmj00069-0020.pdf

The whole article is located at the link.

Strangely enough, this also seems to affect prolactin by increasing levels by some 400% (vs 100+% in controls). The post viral fatigue group also had side effects from the challenge including nausea and lightheadedness which could easily be related to the prolactin surge as well as other things.

Last edited: