• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

metametrix discontinue dna pcr technology

tdog333

@Thinktank That's a pretty cool test, I think you would realllllly benefit from a high count probiotic mainly composed of bifidobacteria coupled with resistant starch 2

Thinktank

@tdog333, yes i'm now using 2 sachets of VSL#3 daily, that's a very high dose probiotics, 950 billion count.
Although i'm having issues with it because some of the strains produce histamine.

I'll probably also have to improve the diversity of Gram+ and Gram - bacteria. I'll ask KDM next month on how to do so.
You know bifidobacterium and lactobacillus are only a very small part of the gut microbiome.

I've tried resistant starch for a few days mixed in with my nightly VSL #3 dose. Unfortunately i noticed increased inflammation the next days so i had to discontinue the use of RS. I will try RS again very soon when my prescript assist probiotic has arrived.

tdog333

Yes I've taken VSL3 before too, great stuff! You might consider going the direct approach and using the VSL3 in a retention enema. Worked really well for me and all my bacteria are back to high normal levels (from nothing after months of abx)

Yes we still don't have a solid understanding of the gut microbiota, but bifidobacteria is one of the main players in generating butyrate, and keeping the junctions in the gut tight.

You might have to start really slow on the RS, some people have big start up reactions! The prescript assist looks awesome! I want to try it soon too, i've just been using a mixed probiotic and bacillus coagulans.

Thinktank

Good to hear your gut bacteria are back to normal levels. Which test did you do to confirm that?

I've read about probiotic enemas but i have my doubts about it. Some of the strains might end up at places where they don't belong.

Butyrate production is almost 0 based on the metametrix stool analysis, i guess that's indeed due to low bifidobacterium which shows up as 0 on the same test. I am going to supplement with n-butyrate soon to see if it has any effect on my leaky gut.

I started with only 1 teaspoon RS frontier naturals organic potato starch. It's said to be unmodified... but i'm going to try again with bobs red mill RS.
Do people start with less than 1 teaspoon?

tdog333

I did the metametrix test when it was PCR and my Organic acids test confirmed high beneficial bacteria metabolites.
Before It showed nothin, after a month of amoxacillin, metronizadole, then vancomycin, then difficid.

I know some people who start at .5 teaspoon, but it's always been with bob's red mill potato starch, maybe that brand will be more tolerable!

Can you phone them? I have done that and had prompt answers. If you tell me your questions for them, I might know the answer to some of them.

Sushi
I called and was told PCR testing for Ova and Parasites only, no longer for GI Effects Profile. :(

After looking at the result example photo seems like there are things which included in metametrix GI effect but not in redlabs MSA such as fungus/yeast, and maybe theres other thing as well?

I called and was told PCR testing for Ova and Parasites only, no longer for GI Effects Profile. :(
Are you sure you didnt get it mixed up? This is what they stated on their website.

Optimized Parasite Recovery (OPR) is Genova Diagnostics’ version of O&P technology which utilizes a concentration process to optimize parasite detection. Because the vast majority of commensal gut microflora are anaerobes that present culture challenges, microbial DNA analysis is utilized to optimize the assessment of gut microbial composition.
O&P technology can identify an unlimited number of parasites and is the gold standard diagnostic methodology for parasite detection, while PCR technology provides an expansive assessment of anaerobic gut microflora.

Doesnt it mean they still use pcr dna for gut bacteria?

If you are interested in who is doing 100% PCR based testing for pathogens, bacteria, toxins, viruses etc then you need to use DRG Labs based in Atlanta. It was originally set up up by Tony Hoffman (who was instrumental in developing the Metametrix GI profiles) after he left during the take over by Genova.

They do all markers by PCR except the GI health markers by ELISA inc. anti-gliadin IgA, split sIgA1/sIgA2, lactoferrin, calprotectin etc. Also they do quantitative H.Pylori with virulance factors CagA/VacA.

They also include C.albicans, C.Tropicalis. and Blastocystis for European Market, not sure for US market.

Turnaround times are 3-5 working days from single stool 5ml sample.

Sample Report Attached from UK DRG Test.

Attachments

• DRG_Profile.pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: