• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation/mitochondria treatment issues

I've started taking a 1/4 of a pill atp fuel. 5 pills is a full dose... I have been taking it for 1 week and am peeing about every hour and I am on fludrocortisone to help with salt and water retention. Middle twitches too. My bladder and kidneys are starting to hurt... Is this potassium issue? All my methylation attempts do this. I am an over methylator... Working on increasing my niacin now. I have increased potassium but can't seem to catch up... I've had such an issue with water retention since being sick. Any thoughts? I don't want to have to stop treatment again... I never get anywhere. I took 50mg time release niacin at lunch and 25 at supper. Never got a flush... Increasing it today. If I'm an over methylator... Proven by low blood histamine... Am I always over methylating even before starting methylation treatment? Should I be taking high doses of niacin every day? Should I focus on doing niacin and then add in atp fuel/methylation protocol?

Last edited:
I think I have answered my own question... The ATP fuel has carnitine and coq10 in it... Both methyl donors... I think I need to increase niacin and possibly stop the atp fuel.

whodathunkit

I would stop both niacin and ATP fuel and go read @Radio's posts on building up the mitochondria before starting methylation.

Also, is the corticosteroid you're taking something of long duration? Or is it something you started in response to these new problems you're having. I can't contravene your doctor's orders but steroids scare me to death. I wouldn't take them except very short term, under a very select and dire set of life-threatening circumstances.

They could be a factor in your kidneys hurting, too.

I would stop both niacin and ATP fuel and go read @Radio's posts on building up the mitochondria before starting methylation.

Also, is the corticosteroid you're taking something of long duration? Or is it something you started in response to these new problems you're having. I can't contravene your doctor's orders but steroids scare me to death. I wouldn't take them except very short term, under a very select and dire set of life-threatening circumstances.

They could be a factor in your kidneys hurting, too.

Dr Lapp has me on fludrocortisone for almost a year now. I don't want to be on roids either but I'm very sensitive to salt and when i was without fludro i couldn't even sit up. As far as building up mitochondria before methylation that's what my doc is trying to do. That's why he started me on atp fuel... Is there a specific post that I should read?

whodathunkit

Use the search function for posts by Radio. There are many that will likely interest you. I'm on my way to bed so don't really have time to search for you. It's easy, I have faith that you can do it. :)