• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondria supplements......?

Helen

Have you done the 23andMe test yourself then Helen....?

Yes, and before that the methylation panel from Yasko and before that the Genovation DetoxiGenomics...
23andme includes most of the SNP´s that are analyzed in the others.

caledonia

If you can afford it, the two best tests are the 23andme for your genes and the Nutreval test for functional testing to see what's actually going on in your body. You get your results then run them through Geneticgenie.org to pull out the relevant genes.

On the Nutreval test there is a nifty Kreb's cycle diagram, where you can see exactly where there are blocks and what is causing them. So then you know what to supplement and what to detox out. It's best to interpret the test with the Nutreval Intepretation Guide, which is a compilation of Rich Vank's interpretations.

I have all that linked in my signature, plus many other useful links.

Sporty

My integrative and functional doctor suggested to take PQQ in combination with Ubiquinol. I've tried this for 6 months but didn't feel any noticeable improvement, that doesn't necessarily mean it is not helping. I took it in the morning so it didn't overstimulate me. To save $$ I just take Ubiqinol now with other antioxidants.

I've just started taking it and have had a crap weekend....lol.....but that could be for some other reason....

Sporty

Yes, and before that the methylation panel from Yasko and before that the Genovation DetoxiGenomics...
23andme includes most of the SNP´s that are analyzed in the others.

So knowing what you know now you would recommend just the 23andMe test?

Sporty

If you can afford it, the two best tests are the 23andme for your genes and the Nutreval test for functional testing to see what's actually going on in your body. You get your results then run them through Geneticgenie.org to pull out the relevant genes.

On the Nutreval test there is a nifty Kreb's cycle diagram, where you can see exactly where there are blocks and what is causing them. So then you know what to supplement and what to detox out. It's best to interpret the test with the Nutreval Intepretation Guide, which is a compilation of Rich Vank's interpretations.

I have all that linked in my signature, plus many other useful links.

And I presume these tests are all in America? :0/

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Well I've received my PQQ in the post this morning so will start that today! Do you know the best way to go about supplementing with this....?

No, I have never tried it. Curious, though. Let us know how it goes.

Sporty

There is a European version of the Nutreval, and I believe 23andme is also available internationally. So if you're in the UK, you should be covered.

Hi, well I've ordered the 23andMe test ants on its way to me now. Will you help me with the results caledonia? It's going to be a complicated ride, I can tell! Lol

Cheers
Simon

caledonia

Hi @caledonia .....tell me, what's my best option when I get my 23andMe results back...? Is it genetic genie? Will I have to pay for this....?

Cheers
Simon

I like geneticgenie.org. It's free, but it's suggested that you give a $10 donation. The programmer is an ME/CFS patient and a member of this forum (kday), so the donation would go to a good cause - to keep this excellent app up and running.

Trader Joe's has surprisingly cheap ubiquinol; it's a fairly "clean" supplement in terms of additives, too. (Think it has soybean oil but unless you're severely allergic that shouldn't be a problem in small amounts)

I read on longecity that PQQ might work better sublingually (or at least it did for one or 2 members). It doesn't seem to do much for me but I accidentally ordered 3 bottles so I will be taking it for a while. Hopefully it has a cumulative effect.

Sporty

I like geneticgenie.org. It's free, but it's suggested that you give a $10 donation. The programmer is an ME/CFS patient and a member of this forum (kday), so the donation would go to a good cause - to keep this excellent app up and running.

Thanks Cali. I've a while to wait yet though....:0)

Hey.....having any joy with this supplement then missy?
It's hard to say. Most of my symptoms are under control, including the debilitating fatigue (not sure if I can attribute it to this supplement specifically since I take so many things). But I still have pain, it's the only thing I cant seem to manage with supplements.
Sorry I cant be more concrete.