1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mitochondrial encephalopathy

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by wastwater, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi Shannah,

Thanks much for sharing your experiences. About 5-6 years ago, a poster who went by the username woofmom posted extensively on the ProHealth board on her experiences with baking soda. She no longer posts there, but left quite a legacy of sharing the things she learned and the improvements she experienced. Here's a link to a search query with the parameters of "Posts by Woofmom in Threads with Baking Soda in Title". One of her posts I just ran across succinctly describes many of the benefits she experienced from using it. Here's a Link to the following post:
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Thanks Wayne,

That's quite the testimonial for baking soda!

I can honestly say it's the single most beneficial substance or therapy I've tried and there's been many over the years. I'll explore that nice listing of threads you put together.

Thanks again,
    shannah
  3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

thanks shannah and wayne. how interesting. i tried 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda in water today and i felt kind of strange afterwards...a little nervous ..wirey....shakey.... i am also worried about diarrhea, which i sort of have anyway due to all the antibiotics i am on. i was told to take it between meals and before bed. i can't help but wonder....are there any downsides to doing this long-term??
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  4. shannah

shannah Senior Member

There could be a downside long term but when I researched it, I couldn't find one. I'm not done reading Wayne's links he so helpfully provided. There may be something in there.

I wouldn't have been able to take 1 1/2 teaspoons at a time. In fact, I'm still not able to after 6 or 9 months. The reaction you describe seems the same as experienced here. You may indeed want to stay close to home for a while.

Was it a medical professional who recommended this to you Daff? I'm curious.

It seems to be recommended to take it away from food so as not to interfere with stomach acid and digestion of food. I'm currently taking it twice daily - morning and bedtime. I did have a third afternoon dose in there for a while but backed off of that one.

Looser/liquid bowels is one of the detox side effects if I increase too much. I have these teeny, tiny specialty measuring spoons and unfortunately can usually only increase 1/128 tsp at a time. It takes forever to carve out any improvement but improvement is thankfully happening.
  5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Daffodil
    I don't know anything about this daff but all I would say is start lower and just once a day first thing in the morning - 1/4 of a teaspoon in a glass of water perhaps?
  6. Elph68

Elph68 Senior Member

Hi Wayne,

Mitochondrial dysfunction can be caused by Hydrogen Sulphide poisoning. Hydrogen sulphide is produced by lactic acid producing bacteria such as streptococcus, enterococcus and lactobacillus. They form biofilms in the gut and bombard the intestine wall with hydrogen peroxide causing leaky gut. Hydrogen sulphide is also a neurotoxin.

Cheers.
    amaru7, brenda and Wayne like this.
  7. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Is there any way to test for this? I use apple cider vinegar almost daily and haven't seen any improvements- my brain is so bad now I live in a state of psychosis- never fluctuates, never improves. If I have even the slightest bout of PEM the effects are permenant. I'm wondering if baking soda is safe to try because I don't know how much more of this torture I can take.
  8. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Wayne likes this.
  9. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Just thought I'd make a quick mention of one possibility as to why baking soda can be helpful for some people. When food arrives in the stomach, it's saturated with hydrochloric acid (HCL). As it enters the small intestine, the highly acidic food is then saturated with highly alkaline bile from the gall bladder to neutralize it. Here's a link to a thread I created which explains this in greater detail: --- Acid / Alkaline Burns --- Could They Cause Leaky Gut Syndrome; Other GI Issues ?

A health gall bladder should release over a quart of bile a day to neutralize the acids, and to release toxicity the liver has processed for elimination. Apparently, most people today have liver/gb stones and sludge that clogs up the works, and only allows about a cup of this highly alkalizing bile to be produced. Soooo, is it possible alkalizing baking soda is actually substituting for the lack of bile being produced by the average person? (I suspect there are reasons as well).

Another quick mention: The inexpensive amino acids taurine and glycine are primarily responsible for keeping the bile thin and liquid. Too little allows the bile to coagulate and turn into liver/gb stones and sludge.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  10. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    Alka Seltzer Gold helps some with reactions to chemicals/mold toxins.
  11. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Been paying attention to all this talk about sodium bicarbonate and, in other threads, potassium.

As Christopher mentioned above, Alka Seltzer Gold somethimes helps with reactions to both chemicals (odours) and foods. Alka Seltzer GOLD (not the one in the blue box - it contains aspirin) contains sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate and citric acid. For some reason taking the salt combination without the citric acid does not give me the same results. Something to do with Krebs (aka citric acid) cycle maybe?

I'm now wondering if instead of simply taking a tablet (dissolved in water) after a problem starts, maybe I should be taking it as a supplement daily. Any thoughts on this?

Might it be better than just salt or just sodium bicarb alone? Potassium and sodium are both very important and this way you'd be supplementing the potassium too.
  12. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Krebs is the Lactic Acid cycle.
  13. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

just wanted to report that taking some baking soda in water is helping my brain fog quite a bit. this is incredible. if someone had told me this years ago, i would not have tried a lot of the toxic drugs, whose effects are causing me so much trouble now.
    Wayne likes this.
  14. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    how much are you taking?
  15. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    According to Encyclopedia Britannica, the Krebs cycle is the tricarboxylic acid cycle or the citric acid cycle.
  16. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

hi inester. I am taking about 1/2 tsp in a glass of water...usually twice a day but sometimes once. I take it maybe an hour after and an hour before eating....
  17. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi Daffodil, congratulations on your great results from taking baking soda! I speculated in This Post whether Himalayan salt might be a better alternative to baking soda, since it seems to effectively address both HCL and Bicarbonate pH issues. I've started taking the recommended dosage using THIS Technique (4 1/2 min. video), and for the the past 2-3 days have noticed improved sleep and somewhat better cognition. Amazing how such seemingly simple things can sometimes make a ton of difference for us. --- Thanks for your update! I always find these kinds of testimonials encouraging.
    Daffodil likes this.
  18. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Is it worth getting a lactic acid test done.Is lactic acid high in mitochondrial disorders
  19. Dannylingo

Dannylingo

Um, you got it completely wrong
  20. amaru7

amaru7 Senior Member

Europe
    Usually it is high with mitochondrial disorders, but in blood testing it doesn't always show the high lactate

See more popular forum discussions.