• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondrial enzymes discriminate between mitochondrial disorders and CFS

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
A few years ago my mother heard that the life expectancy for women in this country (U.S.) was less than her current age. She seemed to think that this meant that she would not live much longer (she has dementia). I looked up life expectancy to show her that the longer you live, the longer you can expect to live. This is what I found (2004 U.S. data, for all people):

Age - Life Expectancy
birth - - - 78
21 - - - - 80
50 - - - - 82
65 - - - - 84
80 - - - - 90
85 - - - - 92
90 - - - - 95
95 - - - - 99
100 - - - 103

Do you have a link for this? If life expectancy is averaged out across a population, those who die young (e.g. in accidents and disasters) will clearly move the average down, so if you have reached an older age the average life expectancy for your age group is now higher.

It's making me wonder how the figures are compiled. I'd like to see figures that exclude accidents, etc., to see how different they are.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I do not have the link. It was for my mother, so I did not note the source. It was a U.S. government site - CDC or census data perhaps.

I was surprised at the small gain from birth to age 21. Infant mortality must not be much of a factor anymore.

roxie60

Has anyone found a test (s) to determine if mitochondria are dysfunctional or ATP not working ??? I have not been tested for CoQ10 levels. If I have to go thru another blood test i there a blood test for ATP or mito status??