• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MMS is it worth the risk?

Ive had a life time struggle with Lyme, unsuccessful damaging long term antibiotics, parisities and several other issues and after cosulting with a doctor that explained to me all the microorganisms invading my body need to be killed before we can really address and start to work with the MTHFR issue and finally help my body detox and stay on the right path. MMS was mentioned, Ive tried almost everything and he is suggesting MMS to kill off all the microorganisms so we could move forward from there.
Is anyone familiar with MMS or tried it thenselves...what ive read makes me want to run, but at the same time ive tried everything else, Im almost willing to try anything to give me a decent quality of life.
Please, any thoughts??

leela

fwiw, even titrating up really slowly made me really really sick and set me way back.
i am a very poor detoxer (can't even do a hot bath) so i believe that is why.
the die-off is so extreme from it that if you can't detox well you get super-sick. plus, it severely messed up my
already-fragile digestion.

MMS is not a remedy for fragile people, IMO.

of course everyone is different--that was just my experience with it in a nutshell.

taniaaust1

I dont know anything about MMS but finally having my MTHFR being treated better with the right FORMS of supplements (another doctor had put me onto supplements but the wrong forms).. Im certainly now getting improvement. I suggest you to do a search at the mthfr site to check your doctor has put u on the right forms of things.

He hasnt put me on anything for mthfr yet being I have so many underlining issues and he wants to kill off all the microorganisms and parisites first before instead of just putting a bandaid on it basically a not really taking care of the underlying problem. He wants me to stay on my glutathione during this whole process though. It has helped me tremendously and I guess it will continue to help me detox in the meantime. That is just a bandaid to however, but he said to stay on it and the time being so I can function and it can assist more with the process.. then MTHFR will be more addressed when my underlying problem is fixed... It makes sense to me but still sounds a bit scary especially since I have severe stomach issues. This doctor is being gracious enough to help me the charity case because I've been disabled with no money for a long time I actually met him through a MTHFR page and we've been doing phone consultation since he's in a different state. I personally don't know a lot about him at all but I really like the vibe I got in from him not 1 doctor I've seen seems to know as much knowledge as he does. I don't know if I'm taking a risk with all this which I probably am 1 since my quality of life with taking long though I figured it would be worth a try because at this rate I'll probably be in a wheelchair by the time I'm 40. I see lot of negative thing about it however I also see a lot of positive as for Wikipedia what I read scared the crap outta meI'll probably be in a wheelchair by the time I'm 40. I see lot of negative thing about it however I also see a lot of positive as for Wikipedia what I read scared the crap outta me but I also remember my professor in school told us to never use Wikipedia send anybody can type on it it's not a reliable source of information. I believe a lot of what I read on there however there's a lot of cases were the info on it is not always accurate so that leaves me even more lost

Overstressed

Ive had a life time struggle with Lyme, unsuccessful damaging long term antibiotics, parisities and several other issues and after cosulting with a doctor that explained to me all the microorganisms invading my body need to be killed before we can really address and start to work with the MTHFR issue and finally help my body detox and stay on the right path. MMS was mentioned, Ive tried almost everything and he is suggesting MMS to kill off all the microorganisms so we could move forward from there.
Is anyone familiar with MMS or tried it thenselves...what ive read makes me want to run, but at the same time ive tries everything else, Im almost willing to try anything to give me a decent quality of life.
Please, any thoughts??

Hi Shannon,

My ortho-molecular doctor gave me MMS, during a time I was very desperate. And when you're desperate, you take anything to feel better. I've taken it for a few months and then I stopped, and now I take occassionally, perhaps a few times per year.

I had pretty good experience with it, except when I increased the dosage, causing diarrhea. Apart from that, I didn't have negative effects from it. Of course, on the long term, you don't know what might happen.

Best wishes,
OS.

Wayne

It makes sense to me but still sounds a bit scary especially since I have severe stomach issues.

Hi Shannon,

I got your message on my profile page, but thought I'd reply here. I've used MMS on and off for a few years now, and continue to find it very helpful. I did a LOT of research on it before trying it, and though it felt like a bit of a risk, I felt the potential benefits outweighed any potential downside. My overriding situation at the time was the dire straights I was in neurologically, and determined MMS gave me the best opportunity to shift that.

I was extremely sensitive to it, and was only able to do 1/3 of a drop every other day in the beginning. As I VERY gradually increased my dosage over the next few weeks, I gradually came out of my "neurological crisis" (which I had been experiencing for many months). I complemented this with regular detoxifcation clay foot baths to help my body eliminate some of the dieoff that ensued. Interestingly, this initial trial of doing MMS also alleviated some moderate symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis. This improvement has continued to this day, about five years later.

I know there's a lot of "scare" literature out there, most likely by many who have never tried it themselves, or have documented results from patients they've recommended to. It sounds like you've found a very unique individual to help you at a time of great need and financial hardship. He appears to have your best interests at heart, AND has experience with his patients doing the MMS protocol, which all sounds like a real gift. I think if you were to do a VERY careful trial, and had somebody experienced to monitor your progress, any potential risks could be greatly minimized.

Lastly, I think it's worth mentioning that as my body got used to the MMS, and improved along the way, I actually began to look forward to taking the doses. They seemed to give me a bit of energy, allowing me to do more things, and giving me an upliftment for my sometimes battered psyche. Usually after taking it for several weeks at a time, I begin to taper off as my body begins to tell me it's time for a break.

Good luck with it if you decide to give it a try. :thumbsup:

Best Regards, Wayne

Wayne

How can a doctor recommend something which the FDA carries warnings for?

Some municipalities use chlorine dioxide (active ingredient in MMS), because it is much more benign than chlorine. I find it interesting how opponents of MMS, such as the FDA, often resort to calling it "industrial strength bleach", but would never use such terminology to describe chlorine or chlorine dioxide that's routinely used to treat municipal drinking water. If these substances are safe in drinking water in very diluted amounts, wouldn't that also indicate a level of safety when they're used therapeutically (and sensibly) to treat certain infectious health conditions. To have it supervised by a health care practitioner with experience using it seems to add an extra measure of safety.

Sure, there are risks with just about everything in life. But MMS strikes me as having a moderate amount of risk for any given individual, with a lot of potential upside benefit. When somebody has already been damaged by the use of antibiotics, but still has a need to fight infections, then I believe MMS can be a very viable alternative. So many of the drugs that doctors routinely prescribe seem to offer a risk/reward profile that is much more worrisome than what MMS presents (many die from the effects of prescription drugs).

Best, Wayne

Dreambirdie

work in progress
A friend of mine had a horrible reaction to MMS. It screwed up his gut for over a year.

I was going to try it, so I tested it out in my mouth a few times, just to see how it felt to rinse with it. When I noticed that it actually ate the chrome of my kitchen drain, I decided it was NOT for me.

Sea

Sure, there are risks with just about everything in life. But MMS strikes me as having a moderate amount of risk for any given individual, with a lot of potential upside benefit. When somebody has already been damaged by the use of antibiotics, but still has a need to fight infections, then I believe MMS can be a very viable alternative. So many of the drugs that doctors routinely prescribe seem to offer a risk/reward profile that is much more worrisome than what MMS presents (many die from the effects of prescription drugs).

Best, Wayne

I don't know enough about MMS to make any comments about either its safety or effectiveness and I don't have a problem with those who want to try it. My comment was only questioning the legality of doctors prescribing something the FDA has safety alerts for, not whether it is good or bad.

Wayne

My comment was only questioning the legality of doctors prescribing something the FDA has safety alerts for, not whether it is good or bad.

Since MMS is not illegal or federally regulated, I think this would fall into the same category as the FDA advising people to be cautious about using St. John's Wort, because it has a high capability of detoxifying a large number of often prescribed drugs. In short, it's a "cautionary" safety alert, not some kind of ruling that brings into question the legality of MMS.

In my observations of the FDA over the years, I've noticed it to be one of the most notorious for its high level of "revolving door" activity. That is, one works for the FDA doing favors for the pharmaceutical industry, then leaves to take a very high paying position within the industry.

If you read their MMS alert carefully, it says it knows of no research that has been done to verify some of the efficacy claims made my MMS proponents. But it then goes on to say that MMS poses a "significant health risk" to those who use it. So, what research has provided them with information to make such a statement?

Interesting how they become so concerned about public safety when it involves a VERY low priced product that may be a viable alternative to rather expensive prescription drugs. But show minimal interest in properly regulating prescription drugs that are shown to be extremely dangerous, such as the pain reliever VIOXX. It took them 2-3 years to take action after evidence first emerged that VIOXX was causing an alarming rate of strokes and heart attacks in users, during which time many thousands more people died from it.

What happened when you took It may I ask...and what exactly were you taking it for?? Im so lost since I heard some success stories and. Have basicly tried everything else

Dufresne

almost there...
I've all kinds of infections I would have noticed a herx from, yet I experienced nothing but ill sensations I wouldn't call die-off. The product I used was from MMSAustralia.

invisiblejungle

What happened when you took It may I ask...and what exactly were you taking it for?? Im so lost since I heard some success stories and. Have basicly tried everything else

I tried it a few years ago because, like yourself, I heard that it "kills everything bad in your body." And I have no doubt that MMS is potent stuff. But I question its safety. For me, every time I took it, it felt like I was eating poison. But I kept taking it because I believed in it. Eventually I worked up to a high dose, and I started having chronic diarrhea all day, like literally going to the bathroom 30+ times. And no, I don't think it was a herx. It felt different, like it was breaking down my digestive system.

I do realize that some people have had good results with MMS. But if my best friend asked about it, I wouldn't recommend trying it, especially when there are so many other viable methods.

I've all kinds of infections I would have noticed a herx from, yet I experienced nothing but ill sensations I wouldn't call die-off. The product I used was from MMSAustralia.
Mine will be comming from Australia as well...what type of experience did you have with it? Did it work for you?