• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More Support for Microglial Activation Causing Immune Problems.

Ema

Date:
November 21, 2014

Source:
Ruhr-Universitaet-Bochum

Activated through permanent stress, immune cells will have a damaging effect on and cause changes to the brain. This may result in mental disorders. The effects of permanent stress on the immune system are studied by the research group headed by Prof Dr Georg Juckel at the LWL university clinic at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB). The RUB's science magazine "RUBIN" reports on their research.

Stress activates the immune system

The team focused mainly on a certain type of phagocytes, namely microglia. Under normal circumstances, they repair synapses between nerves cells in the brain and stimulate their growth. Once activated, however, microglia may damage nerve cells and trigger inflammation processes. The studies carried out in Bochum have shown that the more frequently microglia get triggered due to stress, the more they are inclined to remain in the destructive mode -- a risk factor for mental diseases such as schizophrenia.

Susceptibility for stress effects varies from individual to individual

Not every individual who is under permanent stress will develop a mental disorder.

Prof Juckel's team suspects the cause to go back to the embryonic stage. US researchers demonstrated as far back as the 1950s that children born of mothers who contracted true viral influenza during pregnancy were seven times as likely to suffer schizophrenia later in life.

The researchers from Bochum confirmed this hypothesis in animal models. Now, they a striving to research into the mechanism that makes people susceptible to this disease. "The embryo undergoes some kind of immune response which has far-reaching consequences and presumably shapes the future immune system," says Dr Astrid Friebe from the LWL clinic.

Story Source:

The above story is based on materials provided by Ruhr-Universitaet-Bochum. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.

null
Cite This Page:

Ruhr-Universitaet-Bochum. "Mental disorders due to permanent stress?." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 21 November 2014. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141121082907.htm>.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
The big question is: Define Stress.

I have known a few schizophrenics and I would not say that their lives were marked by a stressful life before becoming ill. Afterward yes, due to illness. I'm not disputing the findings I'm just saying there has to be more going on which the researchers are probably well aware but it never gets stated in science reporting that way. A lay person might draw inaccurate inferences.

beaverfury

beaverfury
Throw on top even a small virus or bacteria that may hit the brain or vagus nerve and those already touchy microglia may stay in a permanent sentinel state (?)

This is a good model for me at least. I spent my twenties stressing like hell. I already had some transient brain fog moments long before I got ill.