• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 23andMe results - how bad are they?

Hello dear people,

I just discovered this website after I received my 23andMe results and would like to ask this amazing community to help me decipher my mutations.

I follow mostly vegan diet, with a very rare fish meal (about once every 2 months). I try to lead a very healthy lifestyle with regular yoga and daily mediation sessions.

I suffer from quick depletion of stamina, occasional lightheadedness/fainting perhaps due to low iron levels.
From the minimal understanding I have, and please correct me if I am wrong, it seems that my vit D machinery is impaired (VDR Taq +/+). Are the COMT, MTRR and BHMT heteros cause of concern too?

I already take:
- 3000 IU D3 daily. Is this enough or I should ramp up?
- fish oil 650mg EPA/450DHA Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega
- 500mcg methylB12 Kirkland (Costco) methylcobalamin
- LEF 1xTwo-per-Day multi
- 133mg Mg (from Mg glycinate)
- Swanson 250mg Bilberry extract, 4mg BioAstin Asthaxanthin, Swanson 20mg Lutein+Zeaxanthin for eye support
- 314mg Swanson Strontium Citrate for bone health
- 3tbsp of liposomal vitamin C (homemade with sunflower lecithin+sodium ascorbate)=~3g vit C
- 2-3 brazil nuts for extra selenium
- 1/2 of 225mcg iodine (from kelp)

What scares me the most is the CYP1B1 combo of mutations as there is a family history of breast and ovarian issues and from what I understand I am also at very high risk.
How bad is CYP2D6 cluster of mutations and what does it mean?
I would highly appreciate if you will be kind enough to suggest what would be the best approaches to address these concerns.

I am 33/F/, 5' 4" (163 cm), 110 lbs/50kg.

Thank you so much for your insight!

Attachments

• Detox_profile.JPG
    Detox_profile.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Methylation_profile.JPG
    Methylation_profile.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 22
  • MTHFR_Support profile.pdf
    266.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Helen

Hi @meche ,

Welcome to the forum :).
Did you have any labtests for levels of iron (ferritin) and vitamin B12? You surely know that as you are a vegetarian you are at risk for deficiencies so I think it would be a good idea to start looking here.
Someone else will hopefully comment on your 23andme test.

Your SNPs do not look that bad, you might need more MethylB12 than the 500mcg. I need to take 5000-7000mcg to feel normal but my SNPs are more complicated. But being that you are Vegan it might be something to look at.

Thank you @Helen and @Methyl Health for your helpful suggestions!

Yes, my ferritin levels are a bit lowish (high 20s) - I regularly take pumpkin seeds and black molasses for iron boost.
My B12 levels were in the 500s last time (1yr ago) but since then I have been taking the 500mcg methyl B12 mentioned+150mcg in the LEF multi.

My annual tests are due next week so I hope I will come with stable results in those areas.

Helen

@meche Your ferritin sounds very low to me. Good that you will have a new test result soon. Post it here with reference ranges and it will probably be commented.
I agree with Methyl Health that you might need more vitamin B12. The serum B12 is not always reflecting the levels of B12 in tissues.