• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My worst doctor story...

jimells

I had a really weird one a few years ago - I saw on my medical records that my blood had been tested for illegal drugs!.

Being of the cynical persuasion, I, too, would've questioned their explanations. I haven't heard of it, but I would not be a bit surprised if this were routine in certain parts of the US. After all, the whole point of making some drugs legal and some illegal is for social control.

When I asked for a sleep study a few years ago, I had to consent to a piss test for illegal drugs. They also insisted on photographing me (I never understood the reason for that) and of course there were cameras and microphone in the "cell" (at least, that's what it felt like to me, although the furniture was much nicer, of course!)

I had a few weeks warning before the sleep study, so I was able to "prepare" for the drug test, which I passed. I don't know what would've happened with the sleep study if I had failed the test. I didn't ask - it would've only upset me and caused a crash. I did feel that I consented under duress, since I really wanted to find some answers (which I didn't get at any rate). Failure to "pass the test" would've become a permanent part of my medical record, and would've been used against me in my attempt to receive disability benefits.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Being of the cynical persuasion, I, too, would've questioned their explanations. I haven't heard of it, but I would not be a bit surprised if this were routine in certain parts of the US. After all, the whole point of making some drugs legal and some illegal is for social control.

When I asked for a sleep study a few years ago, I had to consent to a piss test for illegal drugs. They also insisted on photographing me (I never understood the reason for that) and of course there were cameras and microphone in the "cell" (at least, that's what it felt like to me, although the furniture was much nicer, of course!)

I had a few weeks warning before the sleep study, so I was able to "prepare" for the drug test, which I passed. I don't know what would've happened with the sleep study if I had failed the test. I didn't ask - it would've only upset me and caused a crash. I did feel that I consented under duress, since I really wanted to find some answers (which I didn't get at any rate). Failure to "pass the test" would've become a permanent part of my medical record, and would've been used against me in my attempt to receive disability benefits.

Good grief - I wonder if it's usual to demand a drugs test before a sleep study? The photographing is weird too - I can't think of any reason for that other than to check or create criminal records.

I was told that my test hadn't actually been done - it was a mistake in the records. I think my 'result' was negative. I think I had stopped using cannabis regularly by then but can't remember. IIRC cannabis shows up for (days?) after stopping, but heroin is out of the system pretty quickly. Doesn't exactly encourage people to stick to softer drugs, does it?

I was very sceptical at first about a 'mistake', but I think I found evidence that these mistakes can easily occur, maybe just from someone hitting the wrong key on a keyboard when typing up records. My current GP seems honest; in fact he can be very blunt, which some people don't like, but I prefer it to deviousness!

I am in the UK BTW, in case you hadn't realised.

jimells

IIRC cannabis shows up for (days?) after stopping, but heroin is out of the system pretty quickly. .

That's my understanding, too. Cannabis is the only pain relief medication I can obtain. Doctors here are so afraid of the Drug Enforcement Administration and opiate addiction that treatment for pain is pretty near impossible to obtain. And of course, if I ask for pain medication, that "proves" I'm an addict. If I don't ask for pain medication, then I must not need any.

The hospitals here have adopted another new procedure to humiliate patients. They are now demanding Social Security numbers (which they don't need) and a photo ID. I tell them I don't give out my SS number, and then I tell them I don't have any ID with me. Since they can't refuse to care for patients, there's nothing they can do. Sometimes "NO" is a very powerful word.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have had two sleep studies. I did not have to get a urine test or have my picture taken for either.

I did have a weird encounter with a neuro. I had been referred to him for an EEG. I came out normal (supposedly). First he wanted to prescribe me an upper. When I declined that, he suggest hormone replacement therapy! I suppose he was trying for a kickback from a drug rep.